Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fork upgrade
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

Currently have a rock shox sector Rl dual position coil fork (2011 model). Have used this for under a year and it has been great, plush and needed adjustment only when fitted. It is 150mm qr variety, 1 1/8 steerer.

I would like to upgrade my wheels, as the set I have (cross rides) are destined for my hard tail, which is being bought back to be used as a child transport wagon.

As I need a new set of wheels, I was thinking of upgrading the wheels and forks to Stan’s with hope hubs and a 2013 revelation dual position rlt air, from 2013. I would sell the old fork.

Is it worth it? I would presumably be making the bike stiffer if I opted for 15 mm axle variety, but am also conscious that I will need to spend a good wedge if cash, which may or may not be offset by selling a fork on ebay/classifieds. I need some new wheels at some stage anyway, but am not sure if the justification for a fork change is in my head, as I believe hope hubs come with adapters.

Bike is Trance x, 26in, if any of that makes a difference. I think max fork size is supposed to be 140mm, but lots if people seem to run with a 150 mm fork.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

mmmm… If you like the feel of coil I would be seriously tempted to try and get some cheap sektor or rev 15mm lowers and get Revelation rebound damper.

I believe 2013 dual flow works and I think LoCo was also testing the 2014 rapid recovery rebound damper as well.

gribble
    Free Member

Forks

The ones I was looking at are above. They are solo air RLT model revs. I think I am trying to cover all bases at once, i.e. 15mm axle, tapered steerer, slightly better fork all in one go, but it still seems like a lot of cash.

I had thought about changing the lowers, but again it would mean a non-tapered fork and the prices of fork lowers seemed expensive when I was looking on ebay.

Having said that, I could try and upgrade the wheels only and run them with QR for a short while, before changing the fork.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m not familiar with the headset on that bike will you need a new one or just a new crown race? I think that is also worth factoring when it comes to price. Also while you will probably notice the extra stiffness from 15mm axle I’m not sure you will notice anything from the steerer.

gribble
    Free Member

Frosty, I think the headset is ok, but new crown race will be required. I was only thinking of going for a tapered model as the bike had the ability to put one in. My fork currently sits with a step down adapter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fork upgrade’ is closed to new replies.