Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fork to replace an ageing lefty. Which and how much improvement will I notice?
  • rockhopper70

I have a 2004 Jekyl that I love and is a great bike.
    The fork needs a servicing, which will probably costs £120 but it’s been a reliable unit, only needing servicing three times since getting the bike from new.
    I keep thinking its time to bin the lefty and get with the times/stop having folk pointing at my odd looking fork but the choice and specs are a bit bewildering when all I have is adjustable rebound.

It’s a 130mm travel lefty max, and the head tube on the bike will probably take anything.

So, is it worth persisting with ongoing servicing (providing spares are available) or a new fork, which will also see a new wheel and stem needed.

Will a modern fork be like night and day in terms of performance and handling?

If new, what’s deemed decent that would suit and not mess the geometry?

gonzy
    Free Member

chances are spares for such an old fork will be harder to come by nowadays…that also includes the hub too
    if you were to get rid of it then you could fit any fork you want with the correct combination of headset as your headtube is of the 1.5″ size
    yes you’ll need a new front wheel…or at least a hub if you decide to keep he current rim…but as its a 26″ the prices are so low you could pick up a decent front wheel second hand for a very good price…same goes for the stem
    as fr the fork like i said you could go for any steerer size but i would probably suggest a Rockshox Revelation. travel can be set to 150/140/130mm and its a good fork and is reasonably light.
    i’d say set it at 140mm as this will give you a slightly slacker and more modern geometry

rockhopper70

One feature of the bike is that the rear shock is mounted on a trunion thing so can be wound in and out…..it even has a decal showing the setting between “FR” and “XC”.
    Obviously I keep it FR…..

amedias
    Free Member

well the obvious choice is a new Lefty 😉

amedias
    Free Member

chances are spares for such an old fork will be harder to come by nowadays…that also includes the hub too

You’d be suprised, the older Lefty’s are still very well catered for, except for the Fox damped models, and the Manitou TCP damped modesl, whihc sadly the OP’s Lefty Max is likely to be. Seals are not an issue so they can be rebuilt, as can the telescope, but if you break any damper parts they are harder to find now.

Hub is not an issue, you can get them easily and there are options to fit from Cannondale, DT Swiss, Industry9, Mavic and Chris King, + Novatec/Circus Monkey options.

OP – if you do upgrade to a new fork and want shot of the Lefty drop me a mail, I’m always after them for Spares 😉

chiefgrooveguru

If you get something like a Pike you’ll have similar stiffness to the Lefty (which was way ahead of its time) but vastly improved damping. However, if the damping on the Lefty doesn’t annoy you then ignorance may be bliss! 😉

rockhopper70

I agree, the hub isn’t an issue, even superstar do one on their wheel builder site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fork to replace an ageing lefty. Which and how much improvement will I notice?’ is closed to new replies.