Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fork stripdown for repaint?
  • poonprice
    Free Member

Hi STW,

My Fox Float 32 forks are in need of a service and over the last year have took some abuse to the paint work, stone chips and rubs etc so I was thinking before the service i’d get them re-powder coated.

Obviously, before powder coating i’d need to strip the forks down and remove all bits that make up the suspension. I’m just wondering, what I should watch out for? and will the oven heat affect anything, like the stanchions? I don’t have kashima coating.

Also, will a service company like LoCo build them back up if they are sent dismantled? as part of the service

Any info on this would be helpful if you’ve done this before.

yetidave
    Free Member

didn’t think powder coating was a good idea on fork lowers, let alone on the stantions. 😯 Strip and spay by hand after masking all holes etc.

LoCo
    Free Member

We can arrange something through ArgosRacing, however it may take a while depending on leadtimes etc.
    Drop me a mail and I can check out costs, times etc

poonprice
    Free Member

Wasn’t talking about coating the stanchions, just the crown which the stanchions are attached.

I was initially going to get them sprayed but read there powder coated, as its harder wearing and less likely to chip

st

You could mask the stanchions and if you find a company prepared to take good care of the forks you may be alright but if it’s just the crown I’d suggest spraying it yourself.

Or are you wanting the lowers done too?

If so then the forks will need to be completely stripped including removal of the internal bushes as these will melt in the oven. If you’re dead set on this then perhaps take up Loco’s offer.

chives
    Free Member

I used Rustoleum ‘Hardhat’ satin black on mine, seems to be pretty tough so far. Keyed up the surface with a plastic pan scrub (or scotchbrite if you’re feeling flush) & a thorough clean with isopropyl alcohol first, warmed them gently with OH’s hairdrier then sprayed them. Powder coating would give a deeper film thickness though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fork stripdown for repaint?’ is closed to new replies.