Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fork Stiffness-Give me a reality check!
  • fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Currently got 150 Revelations (1 1/8 steerer) on my bike but it will also take tapered or 1.5 inch steerer.
    Will I actually notice a difference in “stiffness” or even performance (however you want to describe it)if I fit a tapered steerer Fox 32?

As a seperate question will I also notice a BIG ie worthwhile difference in performance/stiffness etc etc if I swap to a Fox 36 or Lyric?

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
    Steve

rocketman
    Free Member

My Rize came with OE Rev Race QR 1 1/8″ steerer and they were as stiff as an overcooked noodle. The suspension action was superb but imo the chassis is a 100mm fork stretched to the max and beyond in 150mm guise. They are light for a reason

I swapped them for tapered steerer 20mm axle Rev Teams and they were better but could still see the legs twanging/walking in corners and they bow outwards on sudden impacts.

Have ridden Fox 36s and Lyrics they are fundamentally much stiffer but there’s a weight penalty.

What we really need is some 34mm dual-crown Revs

unklehomered
    Free Member

No direct expirience to make the exact comparison you describe, but I would imagine…

Q1 – No (unless its worse),

Q2 – yes very probably.

32mm 150 forks are silly imo.

amedias
    Free Member

Any thoughts appreciated

depends…

is there a difference – yes
    will you notice a difference – maybe, depends how you ride
    will you notice a difference – again, maybe, see above
    is it a worthwhile differnce – depends on your interpretation of worth… what is a X% noticeable increase in stiffness worth to you in £?

32mm forks with 140mm + of travel can be a bit noodly, doubly so if using 9mm QR, personally I think a bolt through axle is worth a lot more than a tapered steerer as an upgrade but it always comes down to weight and cost and whether or not it matters enough to you and your riding.

sorry that wasn’t very helpful

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Thanks for your thoughts so far.
    Should say my Revelations have 20mm Maxle
    Cheers
    Steve

rocketman
    Free Member

If your Revs are already 20mm axle a tapered steerer will make a noticeable difference but not enough imo to justify the price of some new forks. They are still Revs.

imo the problem lies with the skinny stanchions and lightweight lowers they are simply not gnar enough. No telescopic fork works when it leans over but the two Revs I’ve had both flexed sideways as well.

Lyrics don’t flex but they’re heavier.

amedias
    Free Member

Should say my Revelations have 20mm Maxle

In that case I wouldn’t bother with the tapered steerer option, either stick with what you have or go for a bigger chassis.

What you haven’t said is if you’re actually having problems with fork flex?

richmtb

I can see a tapered steerer making a huge difference if you already have a 20mm Maxle.

Fox 36 or Lyrics (which are 35mm) are obviously a lot stiffer.

I run Revs and find them stiff enough but mine are the first 150mm ones that used the Pike lowers they are about 300 grams heavier than the new Revs, I guess you can’t run lightweight lowers and expect them to be really stiff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fork Stiffness-Give me a reality check!’ is closed to new replies.