Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fork Steerer Lengths
  • cb

Silly question – no doubt asking for "depends on the bike and shape of the rider" type answers but just wondering whether there were ballpark figures for what a fork steerer length should be depending on height? Shade under 6ft if that helps.

If not, how do people generally go about judging what's right? Do you cut after a single bimble around the garden or use spacers and ride for months before deciding?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I usually buy my forks 2nd hand so I dont have to make such tough decisions, someone else has already cut it for me

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Depends on the head tube of the bike , with a larger headtube for a larger frame.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I go for months without cutting the steerer usually with lots of silly spacers on. For what it's worth I usually require appox 200mm of steerer and I'm 6ft. Of course not all bikes have the same length of headtube so this can vary.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

As Shortbread fanylion, Why rush it and then regret cutting it short when you can have hours of fun playing with the stem height and piles of spacer combinations.

I like 215 -220mm steerers generally. 6tf 1" on a 20" and a large full sus bike but currently got 25mm worth of spacers above the stem on the 20" and liking lower bars.

Cutting it short will limit after sales too as I for one wouldn't consider a fork with anything less than 200mm

cb

Guess this is where I am coming from to an extent – seen a nice pair of 2nd hand forks that are tempting me but only a 195mm steerer. My bikes currently have 220mm but with lots of spacers. Too blonde (and tired) to work out if a 25mm reduction is workable.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Surely there is no working out to do, just measure the spacers above the stem?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fork Steerer Lengths’ is closed to new replies.