Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fork Stanchion wear
  • mccraque

My Fox float 32’s just went in for a service and it’s been pointed out that there is wear on the stanchions.

Looking at it, there are no real gauges, but there are wear lines, and the outer coating is looking a little thinner on the left hand post.

guy in the shop is recommending replace – saying i probably won’t get much longer out of it. But…what are the thoughts of STW readers?

Trimix
    Free Member

Leave it. Wait till it starts leaking loads of oil past the seals first. That may take months or years.

Basically if the fork seal can keep the oil inside your fine, a tiny leak is acceptable as long as you dont let it leak dry.

Fox forks are very easy and quick to service the lowers, so you can do your own, judge the amount of oil left in each leg and adjust your service interval accordingly.

Takes 15 mins to do a lower fork service. I do mine every 3 months and ride it 3-4 times a week all year. The oil does need replacing that often, judging by the colour and consistency of the oil I pour out.

letmetalktomark

I understand that the blue enduro seals can help prolong the life of a fork with stanction wear.

That said std seals and regular lower leg services will also help.

mccraque

I have the oil replaced regularly and regular servicing. Ironically it seemed to be the “good” leg that was p!ssing oil at the weekend, post service, prompting me to return it to the shop. But that has been put down to a hammy seal – not stanchion damage

They then noticed the wear on the other stanchion.

That stanchion has not had issues with oil leak.

Is the general consensus to keep with the existing stanchions?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

You might find they can rotate the bushing a fraction to avoid wearing at the existing wear lines any further.

Trimix
    Free Member

Think it through. If it leaks slightly just service the lowers before it runs out of oil. The oil is only there to lube the sliders.

DezB
    Free Member

saying i probably won’t get much longer out of it

Did they offer an explanation for this? Loada nonsense.

justinbieber

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do this service on Fox forks?

Trimix
    Free Member

Google it, but basically you turn the bike upside down, remove the caliper, remove the rebound knob, undo both nuts on the bottom of each leg then tap them with a rubber mallet and the fork legs will lift off.

Drain out the shite oil, replace the foam rings, if you think the seals are worn, replace them. Mine seem to last years without wearing as I service them often, so just do the foam rings. Basically you pull them out – its really simple and obvious. Replace with new ones soaked in the oil, refit the fork legs, refil with oil, redo the nuts, redo the caliper and your done.

TF Tuned do a kit that contains the oil, seals and foam rings.

Takes 15 mins to do, cost bugger all.

LoCo
    Free Member
    jonnyb1972
    Free Member

any similar links for Reba RLT 2013 I’m struggling to find one ?

LoCo
    Free Member
    thepurist

SRAM also have a youtube channel with service info for most stuff on it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SRAMtech/videos?query=reba

ianfitz
    Free Member

18 bikes in hope recently had an evening on how to service fork lowers. It was well worth going to.

I’ve since serviced a pair, wouldn’t have fancied it before seeing it in the flesh and bring talked through it

Trimix
    Free Member

Once you do it you then realise how flipping simple it is and what a nob you were for not doing it yourself previously.

Then you can laugh smugly at all the “Worn stantion” threads 🙂

mrelectric

I want to change the foam rings on my Talas but don’t see a need to buy the whole dust seal kit at £21-25. The STW posts talk of the foam rings being very cheap but I’ve not find them to buy in the UK. TF, Mojo & Loco don’t list them other than with the whole kit. CRC do the bushings but not seals.
    Anyone got a link please?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fork Stanchion wear’ is closed to new replies.