Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fork. Servicing – Worth doing it yourself?
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Forks are Tora Air. I’ve downloaded the manual and seen a couple of YouTube videos and it looks pretty straightforward.

Think I’ll get some satisfaction from doing the job myself but is it worth the cost once I’ve bought the oils etc.? Have no idea what they’ll cost.

jonba
    Free Member

In my experience all i’ve needed to do when servicing forks is change the oil. I’ve never needed to do seals etc.

Oil can be relatively cheap as you don’t need the bijke specific stuff. It will cost near to £100+ postage to send them off. I wouldn’t do that unless there was something wrong. With Toras you’d probably be better off buying some new forks in that case anyway.

cardo

I’ve taken to servicing my Fox forks myself , it’s relatively easy so long as you take your time initially , switch your phone off and plan what you are going to do before starting… I found a work stand made life much easier but isn’t essential.. Go for it.

nuke

I’d suggesting starting with a basic seal service…drop the lowers, clean and regrease seals etc. If Tora is anything like Rev/Reba/Sektor/etc and it probably is, you’ll only need some 5wt, a 5mm allen and a 10mm socket.

drofluf
    Free Member

Well I’ve just done a full service – seals and oil from TF Tuned, print out of service instructions and some YouTube. All went fairy well.

Of course I need to ride it….

Northwind

Lowers service, definitely worth doing. Full service- maybe. But, I reckon part of the benefit of pro servicing is spotting the things that might be about to be a problem. I’m a pretty good spanner, I can change seals and fluids etc but I might not pick up on something that mojo or tf might spot and fix. With the price of forks that’s probably worth taking into consideration.

allyharp

My approach to maintenance is generally to do as much of it myself as possible, learning how things work and developing skills so there’s more chance I’m able to get myself out of a jam if things go tits up in the middle of nowhere. And I have once had a fork suffer an oil leak and blow its seals in rural Scotland.*

* knowing how things worked didn’t help me do anything to help that situation, and in fact it was probably caused by my third-rate maintenance in the first place!

mooman
    Free Member

Def worth doing yourself. Only job that needs a trip to Mojo is having the bushings replaced.

eshershore
    Free Member

I’d strongly recommend doing the “fork lowers service” as a regular (every 2-3 months) preventative maintenance regime. this is also true of air shocks.

especially for Fox forks which tend to run low oil volumes and quickly degenerate once contaminated or run dry

for anything more technical involving the damper or bushings its probably worth sending the fork (and shock) off to a proper service centre where they will have access to tools, seals and parts you may not

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fork. Servicing – Worth doing it yourself?’ is closed to new replies.