Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fork Servicing Question
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Two quick questions if you please.

1. What size socket do I need to remove the lowers from a set of Marzocchi Z3 forks?

2. Where can I get one long enough to reach the nut? By "long" I mean that the actual sockets I have seem too shallow.

Thanks.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

12mm I believe. Marzocchi make one (on CRC for £15)

Its just a thin walled socket.

Coyote
    Free Member

anyone else?

nickc

what more d'you want?

cookeaa

Nope thin walled 12mm was the right answer I think… some socket sets have a suitably thin walled one, but not many, I have one that just about does the job (Not the overpriced Marz one), but I keep it in a locked vault with guards…

I have heard tails of people taking a grinder to a cheap socket in order to get it to fit…

cookeaa

Oh no hang on which Z3 are you talking about? Bolt on brace or later “all in one” cast lowers?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've done the grinder thing in the past. Easy enough to do if you have the facilities. Takes about 30minutes to do a neat job.

Coyote
    Free Member

It's not the width of the actual socket, more the length.

cookeaa

Again is it the older bolt on brace forks with the bolt sat approx 1/3rd of the way up the leg? if so you need a socket extension piece, if that doesn't help then I give up…

Pics of the problem possible?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just used a standard socket set for my Z1 bams which are the same sort of crack. Just go to a tool shop and buy a socket that fits. Take your forks with you

Coyote
    Free Member

An extra long 15mm socket seems to do the trick.

Cheers for all the advice.

Coyote
    Free Member

Oh and it was a fiver.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fork Servicing Question’ is closed to new replies.