Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fork Oil – what to use
  • BigJohn

I’ve got some Magura Menjas and every couple of weeks I like to drop the lowers off them, pour out the old oil, give them a good wipe and put 10cc of new oil back in each leg.

According to Magura in Ashby I should be using plain SAE 30W oil, none of your multigrades.

In my garage I’ve got a big bottle of Mobil 1 SAE 0-40W and some Castrol 10-40W. Normally I use the Mobil 1, because I haven’t got the car it used to go in anymore (BMW with 180,000 miles and still running smooth as new when I sold it)

Will anything bad happen if I use these oils and where can I get proper stuff?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you are changing the oil that frequently I cannot imagine that it will do any harm but I don’t know for sure. The multigrades will be thinner thant he straight oil when cold so might escape more and could possibly be a worse lube – but then they also have additives in them. 😕

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Surely your should be using a good quality single grade suspension specific oil for this purpose?

If your spent 100’s of pounds on a fork surely its worth spending 10quid on some decent oil?

BigJohn

Hmmm, are the additives legal? Performance enhancing, like EPO?

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you are that bothered you change the oil that often why then choose to use the wrong oil?
    Go to a motorbike shop purchase correct suspension oil 10 quid a litre or thereabouts

BigJohn

That’s why I’m asking 1HH.

the_lecht_rocks

i use this in my Fox’s :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=112

7.5 wt.

perfect.

Stoner
    Free Member

Ive just had a bottle of this delivered from

these guys
    http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/protorquemotorcycles_Rock-oil_W0QQ_fsubZ807032010QQ_sidZ724131800QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Quick delivery. And £1 cheaper than CRC if anyone cares. They do 5w, 7.5w, 10w and 15w
    And it’s blue. Which is, of course, much cooler than red oil 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am reading the OP as the oil required is NOT fork oil but 30w engine oil???

BigJohn

I just looked at CRC’s site and that Stendec looks the one to get. They do it in 30WT, which is what Magura recommends.

TJ, I suspect you’re right in your first post, but SAE 30 is SAE 30 and this stuff’s only £5.99.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I recently bought some of the same stuff as Stoner, from a local backstreet motorcycle repair place. £3.95 for 500ml.

I vaguely remember something in a bike shop, going for about £12 for the same thing. **** rip-off.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Get the correct oil I have just done my rev’s with Fox Float Fluid and it is too thick the forks feel like the damping is on max for the compression and rebound

So I have to redo the job

Finnish line fork oil 475cc costs £16 from my lbs or £8.90 for 1ltr from my local motorbike shop for motorbike fork oil same stuff differant label

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If you’re replacing the damping oil, its imperative to use something of the right grade and of good quality.

If you’re changing the semi bath oil – and it sounds like you are, any decent multigrade motor oil will be fine, as long as it is FULLY synthetic. If not, you risk swelling and softening any plastic or rubber components that may be exposed.

I’ve used Castrol Edge 5-30 SAE for about three years now, in two sets of Nixons a set of RS Pikes and an old set of Vanillas with no ill effects. IME, its more slippery than standard fork oil.

retro83
    Free Member

Get the correct oil I have just done my rev’s with Fox Float Fluid and it is too thick the forks feel like the damping is on max for the compression and rebound

Did you fill the entire semi-bath in the lower legs with float fluid?

I was thinking of using it to keep the foams slippery and maybe mixing it 50/50 with 15wt for the lowers.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Retro I did the felt pads and put 15cc in each leg as per instructions for the semi bath

i will do it again tonight with 15wt oil 😳

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorted the forks are now buttry soooooooooooooth

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fork Oil – what to use’ is closed to new replies.