Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Fork oil change, which fox forks do I have?
  • sambuka
    Free Member

I’m changing the oil on my :

FORKFox F140 RL, air spring, alloy steerer, reb adj., LO, standard drop-outs, 140mm travel

These are from a 2011 stumpjumper elite.

I’m finding it hard to work out which row I should refer to on this table:
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm

I went with row 32 which was 30ml each side but I’m not getting any lockout or damping control so wondering if I should have gone for row 27 which adds 160 to the damper side…

Thanks for any advice!

masmas
    Free Member

How much drained out of the damper side when you stripped the forks – there is a massive difference between 30ml and 160ml. When I did my fork which has an oil bath damper it had 160ml of oil drain out – covered the garage floor! Once the oil was replaced I had to wait for it to settle (right side up with the fork) for the lockout to return to normal.

Sorry can’t help any more than that!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Row 32 is for a FIT damper, is yours FIT or open bath?
    If they’re open bath then refer to row 27, I suspect they’ll be (OB)
    open bath, don’t think RLs are FIT.

sambuka
    Free Member

I have no idea what FIT or open bath means… First time doing this! Unfortunately I poured the oil away as I drained it.

Is the damper side the side without air?

bullroar
    Free Member

Sitting on bike, air spring is left leg of fork, damper right. On the top of the right lower leg (just below the seal) is there a small sticker saying “open bath” or something else? There is on mine of similar age.

The lock out issue may not be directly related to oil volume.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Open bath means the oil you put in the leg to do the damping is open to the air in the fork leg. A FIT damper is isolated from the air so the oil you put in the legs is to lubricate the bushings.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

FIT – has sealed cartridge in fork
    Open Bath – has loads of oil sloshing around in damping side

FIT – has FIT sticker on outside
    Open Bath – doesn’t have FIT sticker

🙂

Yours sound like open bath. 160ml is about right. If when you took the fork apart there was a lot more oil that came out of the right side leg, they’re open bath. Line 27 looks about right if the model year is correct.

sambuka
    Free Member

Thanks all looks like I should add a little!

sambuka
    Free Member

That’s nailed it thanks 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Fork oil change, which fox forks do I have?’ is closed to new replies.