Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fork offset Pike vs Lyrik
  • ichabod
    Free Member

Hi, I was about to swap out my 650b Lyriks for Pikes but noticed that the Lyriks are 42mm offset and afaik the 2018 Pikes are all 46mm. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? If so why are they different and how much effect will the swap have on the feel/steering? Thanks!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

46mm apparently quickens the steering up, can’t say I’ve noticed. I do notice that the front wheel feels further out though, a bit like having a slacker bike but with faster steering.

Stevet1
    Free Member

As I understand it a shorter offset makes it easier to hold a line at speed, but requires more steering input to initiate a turn. I’d be looking for a similar offset fork if you’re happy with the way yours handles now.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t know why you’d bother swapping out Lyrik RCT3s anyway, they are simply better forks than the Pikes. I find them noticably more confidence inspiring banging through rock gardens. It’s not worth the 200g weight saving…

ichabod
    Free Member

They are Lyrik RCs 2017.. still new and unused so will pretty much recoup the price of the pikes. They just seem overkill as I’m only 65kg – decided to save the 200g. The 2018 pikes are supposed to have the same increased negative air volume so as far as I can tell should perform very similar in all but stiffness?

ichabod
    Free Member

Also I noticed that the Fox 36 splits the difference with a 44mm offset

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Those won’t save you 200g though.

They will do something far better – you can get them in Orange.

Get Orange forks and the child like grin whenever you look at your BRIGHT SODDING ORANGE 😀 forks.

Also, the damping is apparently better than the Lyriks on the 2018 model. Do you have any particular issues with the Lyriks damping?

ichabod
    Free Member

Not at all, in fact I’ve never even ridden Lyriks

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

What kind of bike are you trying to ligthen? How heavy are the wheels? How heavy is the build?

IMO, I personally find that anything lighter than 29-30lbs for gravity riding is overkill and leads to a skittish bike.

ichabod
    Free Member

Its a Canyon Strive CF.. as a do-it all bike. I’m up in Snowdonia so enough rough stuff to justify the travel I hope. Up until this year they shipped with Pikes but now come with Lyriks. Plenty of big climbs here and a fair bit of carrying/pushing so shedding some weight is a bonus. I’m coming of a stumpy Evo which is only 12.5kg with pedals. The new bike feels decidedly heavy by comparison!

ichabod
    Free Member

Normally I wouldn’t bother for 200g but I figured that weight on the front of the bike would be more noticeable than on the frame.. harder to get the front wheel up etc.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If you’re going to shave weight, see how much you can save on the wheels. Look at how much it would cost to do that – weight your wheels etc. Weight weenying isn’t about guess work.

Canyons claimed weight of 13.4kg isn’t bad at all for a 160mm bike.

ichabod
    Free Member

Yes I already swapped out the wheels for a bargain set of DT Swiss XM 1501 which will have saved a good chunk of weight where it counts. It seemed to make more sense to buy the lower speced CF7 and save some cash for upgrades rather than to buy the CF8 or CF9 with an Eagle drivetrain which I don’t even want. Somehow ended up buying an ‘Enduro’ bike only to de-enduro-ify it with lighter forks and wheels but hey ho!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, going with lower tier drivetrains is the best way to go.

Personally, I would then try to save weight on the bars and saddle – as the weight is up higher. I am biased though, I personally think you would like the Lyriks if you try them and have experience riding Pikes prior.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fork offset Pike vs Lyrik’ is closed to new replies.