Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fork Offset – 51 to 44
  • Gotama
    Free Member

Will I notice any difference? My Fox 36s have gone back for a creaky CSU but they’re out of stock of the 51 offset so are offering the 44. They’re probably going back on the tallboy which runs a 67.5 degree head angle. Inclined to wait for the 51 but given what Transition are doing with offset I’m tempted although I have no real idea how noticeable it will be.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have different offsets on 2 different bikes. I’ve done a bit of fork swapping recently & can’t tell any difference.

Even had a Reign with the weird offset on that too & couldn’t tell.

Gotama
    Free Member

You’re switching on a pretty slack Trek though aren’t you? I’d be less concerned on the Nicolai at 64 degree but slightly concerned the steeper tallboy will end up ‘tucking’ on tighter stuff.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No – this is on my Solaris (also 67.5 degree).

Went from 51 to 44mm.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ah ok, ta

andyg1966

Went from 51 to 46 (I think) back to 51 on a Mk1 Trek Stache.

Noticed the difference in tight uphill corners. Much preferred the 51.

chiefgrooveguru

Do it and swap your headset for a Works slackening one. SBG baby!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I went from 51 to 46 on a 29/650b+ HT with a 67 degree HA (sagged). This article pretty much sums up what I found. I’d love to try 37mm offset. Wheel felt it wanted to oversteer more at 51mm.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/pushing-the-limits-of-fork-offset-an-experiment-45343/

jameso

I’d be less concerned on the Nicolai at 64 degree but slightly concerned the steeper tallboy will end up ‘tucking’ on tighter stuff.

Tucking under is mostly about shorter trail geometry and forward weight distribution. 51 to 44 will do the opposite to trail, it’ll lengthen it. The steering will feel a tad slacker / more floppy at low speed. 6mm less front-centre isn’t a big deal at all – less than 1% of what the bike is there – so if you’re not long-stemming as far as you can already I’d not worry about that. Basically neither longer or shorter offset is better, one or both will just work fine for you with that bike.

greyspoke
    Free Member

I believe the relevant figure in geometry terms is “flop”, there ‘s actually an equation for it.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will go for the 44mm.

Chiefgrooveguru – if I could get a slackset for it I would but Santa Cruz use bearings that drop straight into the frame so I don’t think you can do it. Offset bushings is an option but that’s for another day…

jameso

I believe the relevant figure in geometry terms is “flop”, there ‘s actually an equation for it.

Yep, about 29 to 32 units of floppy in this case 😀

sweaman2
    Free Member

Pinkbike review including some comparisons around offsets based on Transition SBG.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/transition-sentinel-review-2017.html

The amount of offset does make a noticeable handling difference, but it’s not as cut and dry as saying that X amount of offset is bad and Y amount of offset is good – there’s more to it than that, and installing a fork with the least amount of offset possible isn’t going to automatically turn your bike into a magical shred sled.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yep, about 29 to 32 units of floppy in this case

I’m trying to work out whether fewer floppy units is better… 😆

The amount of offset does make a noticeable handling difference, but it’s not as cut and dry as saying that X amount of offset is bad and Y amount of offset is good – there’s more to it than that…

Like anything I think it’s a balancing act.

FWIR Gary Fisher started spec’ing longer offsets to keep trail similar to decent handling 26in bikes; that combined with comparatively steeper head angles was meant to combat the ‘slow’ steering of bigger wheels. My take is it worked to a degree (well, quite a long time) but the advent of slacker 29ers and ‘forward geometry’ has lead to to more investigation into the entire dynamic of steering set-up.

chiefgrooveguru

Chiefgrooveguru – if I could get a slackset for it I would but Santa Cruz use bearings that drop straight into the frame so I don’t think you can do it. Offset bushings is an option but that’s for another day…

I didn’t know that, I thought most companies were using ZS44/56 nowadays – that’s a shame! I’m not so keen on offset bushings – few of us want slacker seat angles or shorter reach.

Onzadog
    Free Member

@Gotama – how did the 44mm offset work on the Solaris?

Andy-R

There must be something in this “conventional (70-ish degree) headangle and long offset (short trail) forks” though. I’ve known people rave about the handling of the original Jones, with forks with 55mm of offset with a 29” wheel, much as I do about my Hummingbirds (70 degree h/a and 55mm of offset).

Best handling (in the real sense of the word) bike that I’ve ever ridden or owned. I won’t have a bad word said about them – I love my Hummingbirds!

What was it that, back in the day (1989 ish) Zinn bikes (of Isla Rowntree fame) attributed their good handling to? Either it was unusually long trail or long offset – sadly, I can’t remember which…..

Andy-R

That ^^^ above was intending for the “anyone experimented with fork offset” thread. I’m getting old and more stupid every day…..sorry.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fork Offset – 51 to 44’ is closed to new replies.