Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fork lowers lubrication, how critical is the choice of oil?
  • winch
    Free Member

I want to reduce the travel on my new X Fusion Slants, which means popping the lowers off. To rebuild, Torco 7 wt is the recommended oil. How critical is it that I use this and not substitute it for something else?

I have some Rock Oil 15wt and some Rockshox red rum already, perhaps I could just use one of these or a mix of the two?

I’m only concerned with the lowers, not the damping circuit.

winch
    Free Member

?

tonyd

Personally I wouldn’t worry about brand but not sure I’d use anything other than 7wt if that’s what’s recommended. 15wt is quite a jump and may be too heavy, at a guess it could affect the feel of the fork quite drastically.

I’m certainly no expert though.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I used to be in the “why bother with the fork manufacturers expensive branded stuff, when you can get it from the local motorcycle shop at a third the price” camp.

However, when I filled my Fox lowers with quality branded motorcycle fork oil of the same weight rather than the Fox green, I got a bad case of weepy seals. Switched back to the proper Fox stuff at the next service and will continue using it from now on, despite the price penalty!

You’ve just dropped a good few hundred quid on some new forks (which are apparently the wrong length 😉 ) and you are considering sticking out of spec oil in them already?

I’m being lighthearted here, but nonetheless, this sort of thinking does have me baffled.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Fox forks used to spec 7wt oil in the lowers, a spec which was ‘adjusted’ for UK conditions according to Mojo recommendations.

Mojo recommend using 10wt oil in Fox fork lowers, so I can’t see why such a change wouldn’t also be a good thing in X-Fusion forks.

I wouldn’t consider mixing oils to do it though. That will just end in a world of bad.

winch
    Free Member

you are considering sticking out of spec oil in them already?

I can’t find Torco 7 locally and I don’t want to wait for it if I don’t need to. Normally I too am a bit of a stickler for such things!

Fairy muff winch ^^^

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not familiar with the X-Fusion. Is this oil actually doing and damping or is it sloshing about the bushings tyre oil? If it’s the later, I use motorcycle engine oil. Has better cling properties.

If it’s for damping, get the real stuff or have a look on the wiki PVD site to find alternatives with the same centi-stroke rating (wt means nothing at all).

Scamper
    Free Member

Asked the same question to those who should know as I have loads of 15wt sloshing around, and was still pointed in the direction of 7wt.

winch
    Free Member

Thanks all. I think I’ll just use them at 160mm until I can lay my hands on some Torco 7 (or Rockshox 5wt).

thejesmonddingo

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=torco+rff about the fifth one down

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fork lowers lubrication, how critical is the choice of oil?’ is closed to new replies.