Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fork grease
  • Dickyboy

Got a a families worth of forks to service & wondering what proprietry grease I can get in a decent sized tub, rather than spending oodles on those miniature pots & tubes that cycle shops sell. Thanks

z1ppy

Silkolene RG2 Grease from your local motorcycle shop, not paricularly mega cheap but good stuff

Dickyboy

Thanks, is that Silkolene RG2 defo okay for fork seals?

nuke
    Del

or stendec fork grease…

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

apart from seals, I didn't think that many forks actually used grease these days.

Dickyboy

Scienceofficer – I think you'll find that because I tend to buy things cheap just after they go out of fashion but before they become retro, then most of my forks will need plenty of grease.. 😳

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Manitou do tubes of M-prep fork grease, my local Go-Outdoors usually stock it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Any old grease will do then IMO Big tub of castrol LM.

If there is no damping oil then all the seals do is keep the dirt out

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love the silkolene RG2 but I wouldn't put it near the insides of any forks. I've got a tube of M-Prep, some Pace stuff and some old Judy butter. All in reasonable sized packets and all lasting well. If anything, the Judy butter is lasting too well as the name might suggest.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

LOL dickyboy!

andymonty
    Free Member

Any old grease will do then IMO Big tub of castrol LM.

No LM grease will cause seal swell (assuming by LM your referring to Lithium grease)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If the forks don't have damping oil in them but are just greased springs then it will only be dust seals so will it matter?

Onzadog
    Free Member

There's often a lot of plastic parts in forks like that. Some plastics and some greases don't mix well. I think that's the main reason the suspension specific stuff came about.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ah – point taken onzadog

jasonm945
    Free Member

What about Moly Grease or paste, reason I suggest this is because Moly is what is used in spring powered air rifles, which is a plastic (or leather) seal that slides down a steel tube, same principle but opposite?

Jay

Dickyboy

All as clear as daylight then? Doesn't really help knowing that at least two of the pairs of forks I am servicing are oil damped in one leg only…. looks like I might have to buy the tiny expensive pots afterall. The Magura Ronins service require equivalent to one pot of judy butter – ie 15ml per leg, so you can see why I would have liked to have found a cheaper option.

Dickyboy

Looks like Stendec fork grease will be the best bet £9 for 150ml should do a few forks (as opposed to £5 – £12 for 29ml of Judy Butter!) cheers Del

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Get some Rock n Roll Super Slick grease, it's designed for forks.

jasonm945
    Free Member

Look here!

Jay

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fork grease’ is closed to new replies.