Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fork for Stanton Sherpa
  • beamishblue

I’m thinking of getting Stanton Sherpa and am looking for some advice re: fork choice. I’m a big guy – 6’3″ and 15 1/2 stone. I’ll be getting an XL and would like to run it at 120mm. Ideally I’d like to run 34mm or 35mm stanchions. I have been looking at the X-Fusion Trace but can’t see them anywhere at 120mm. I have also considered Pikes but they are rather pricey. Would 51mm offset be OK on the Sherpa? If so these could be an option?

http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/forks/forks/rockshox-pike-rct3-solo-air-forks-29-15mm-axle-51mm-offset-tapered-black-2016-131-220029.html

All advice gratefully received!

Cheers,
    Matt

mboy
    Free Member

Trace’s can be lowered internally, they all leave the factory at 140 I believe.

Pikes are a bit taller than many for a given amount of travel. The Sherpa really handles best with a short A2C 100mm travel fork on. The BB height seems to be the main culprit, awesome frame as it is (my GF has one, I’ve ridden it several times and have been contemplating one for myself) the BB height isn’t that low even with a 100mm fork fitted and once you put a 120mm Pike on (about the same length as a 130mm Revelation) you’re looking at an HT with a 13″ BB height.

To be fair it’s my only criticism of the frame, the BB is slightly lower on it than on the Cotic Solaris for instance (that does have a tall BB), if they knocked 15mm off the BB height I’d buy one tomorrow.

Oh and assuming you’ve made your mind up and are going to do it anyway… Check out the MRP Stage fork. Bit shorter A2C than a Pike, IMO performance is better, and internally adjustable in 10mm increments. Been running one of these for many months now and I definitely prefer it to the Pike it replaced.

beamishblue

Thanks for the advice mate. Out of interest – what would you say would be the ideal fork would be for the Sherpa?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

Anything decent with 34mm or bigger stanchions, shortened to 100-110mm of travel probably. A stiffer/beefier fork is definitely recommended, the frame encourages hooligan behaviour!

This is all my personal opinion of course remember. I prefer low BB’s and am used to a 120mm travel FS bike with a 330mm BB height. I don’t want to ride a hardtail with a BB height anywhere near approaching that given that my FS bike sags 30mm when I sit on it… I like short cranks too though, and accept the odd pedal strike as part and parcel of the trade off.

beamishblue
    mboy
    Free Member

Trace is a pretty stiff fork, and in my experience once bedded in (takes a while, not as long as Marzocchi mind) X-Fusions work pretty well.

Can’t comment on the DLA though never having ridden an X-Fusion with the feature.

survivor

I’m running Pikes dropped to 120mm on my Sherpa and the thing is a pure weapon 🙂

I’m 6ft2 and about 14.5st so not far off you. Cant say I’ve ever thought it felt to high. I suppose it can wander a little bit on steeper climbs but I dont care as it descends so well. My first 29er and I’m sold on it’s performance.

If you lie your climbing more than descending go for something with 100mm if not get the pikes or similair 120mm forks.

Pikes were the slightly expensive option but I wanted the stiffer chassis they offer. You’ll have to buy the 120mm air spring assembly and swap out the 140mm they come with. Easy job though.

Good choice on the Sherpa though. Brilliant bike….

beamishblue

Excellent – thanks for the help. Pretty keen on the bike and definitely want a decent fork up front. I will consider the Pike, Trace and Stage. Any other comments and help gratefully received!

beamishblue

Out of interest Survivor, what offset are your Pikes? I can’t get my head around the 46mm/51mm thing. Which would be best with the Sherpa?

letmetalktomark

I’m a good few KG heavier than you and I run a Reba on mine.

I’ve not noticed any real flex in 110mm guise.

alexh
    Free Member

I had the dla system on my velvet 2 forks. A very good system that worked well for me.

sandal100

Hi,

I am pretty much the same height/weight as you op and I have the 46mm offset Pikes on my Sherpa knocked down to 120. Think they came as 160mm originally. I was advised when ordering that the 51mm pikes would make he handling a bit weird so never looked into it further and bought some normal offset forks.

Can’t say I’ve noticed any bother with a higher than it should be bb and sometimes have to get weight a bit further forward but I ride a 19″ with a 70mm stem which moves me forward a touch more anyway.

survivor

I’m sure mine are the 46mm offset. Remember reading something about the 51mm making the steering to lazy, as in has the same effect as slackening the HA..

beamishblue

Thanks alexh. One question – does the DLA let you use any travel between 110-140mm or does it just let you use either 110mm or 140MM.

beamishblue

sandal100 and survivor – I am really confused about offset. I was under the impression that 46mm would slow down steering and 51mm would make it slightly more responsive. I had thought that if going up to 120mm travel, it may be beneficial to have 51mm offset. I understand all X-Fusion 29er forks are 51mm offset so I would have no choice if I went that route.

If anyone is an expert about 29ers and fork offset it would be great to have some input!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have Sweeps (650 equivalent to the Trace I assume) on my bike and once set up I haven’t had to touch them once. They seem sturdy enough for a 15st 60lb bloke.

survivor

Ah yeah. Good point on offset effect. I may be wrong then, but I’ve just read something that says if you got an already slack HA(which the Sherpa has) increasing fork offset can then increase the problem your trying to fix so I may be correct as well. My pikes seem to measure 46mm offset though if I’m measuring correctly.
    http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/ask-a-mechanic-29er-forks-46mm-or-51mm-offset/

as I said though I love how mine handles. The slight wandering I get on steep climbs is probably down to my short stem (40mm)

Maybe contact Stanton to see what they recommend.

Clink

Slack ha offered paired with greater fork offset to make steering more responsive. Fisher/Trek G2 geo, for example.

humattzee

hi all. just found this thread in the forum archives as am currently in the same position as the OP in terms of deciding upon which fork to go for.
    I like the ups as well as the downs, so am initially thinking of 120mm Rebas (which I think are 51mm offset) as a compromise; just wondered how others may have found the handling with a similar 120mm fork since the original post above – anyone regretted it? I’d be interested to read any additional feedback. Cheers.

letmetalktomark

I have a “nothing fancy” Reba set at 100mm and its makes for a, to me, wonderfully handling bike.

Tempted to try 120mm but there is nothing around here deserving of that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fork for Stanton Sherpa’ is closed to new replies.