Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • fork depreciation ?
  • iainc

I have just had a set of forks warrantied, and I have also ordered new ones, different brand. The new ones arrive in about 10 days time. The LBS has now received the warrantied set back, with brand new steerer, crown and stanchions, so effectively a new fork (it was only max 15 rides old when it started creaking). My plan is to sell these warranty ones, and if I don’t fit them to the bike I guess I’ll get a bit more for them, in an unridden, uncut state ?

But, if I do that I can’t ride my MTB for another 10 days, so probably 2 or 3 rides. I do have other bikes though, road and cx.

Not sure what likely resale difference is likley to be ? Am guessing about £60 perhaps ? opinions ? (XFusions velvets). Am thinking that I ought to sacrafice those 2 or 3 rides if I’ll get a significantly better price by selling them unused ?

GHill

I’d be more worried about the cut steerer than the fact they’d been used.

Is an MTB ride worth £20 to you? 😀

iainc

GH, good point re the steerer. Think I will curb my enthusiasm, be sensible, and wait for the new forks. Ta

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matther01
    Free Member

Defo cut steerer…the difference in length for my soul compared to my trek is 30mm.

iainc

Mather, my question really is how much more will I get for a fork with an uncut steerer and brand new crown and stanchions than one that has been cut, maybe to 195mm and ridden 3 or 4 times. I think I have convinced myself to not use it for those few rides at all, and sell as is, and get a bit more back on it.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

are the forks tapered ,120mm ?

iainc

Richie,yeah, 120mm, tapered, 15mm bolt hub, I only got them in April when speccing new Soul. Am going with Reba’s though, so will be punting these when I pick bike up from shop in 10 day time.

Richie – just reread some previous threads, my emails in profile, cheers

matther01
    Free Member

Sorry Iainc – meant defo cutting the steerer would cause more issues trying to sell it on…hence leaving it so it will fit all bikes (giving my two bike as an example).

Must engage brain before typing!

iainc

Matter, ah right, yes I am coming to that conclusion too, so will be patient and wait for new fork, cheers

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘fork depreciation ?’ is closed to new replies.