• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nuke.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fork bushings gone?
  • nicko74

It’s been a while since I’ve ridden my bike, and it’s developed play somewhere between handlebars and front wheel in a year of being sat in the garage doing nothing – as if the headset’s loose. Tightened up the headset, tried again, and even with the front brake locked, there’s still play.

Google suggests it’s the bushings in the forks (RS Revs, 2006 I think) that need replacing; I also have a feeling the oil needs replenishing.

a) does that sound about right?
    b) is it a home mechanic type job to remove and replace them?

Cheers!

darrenspink
    Free Member

A. Yes
    B. Yes

Might be easier to confirm by turning the bike upside down and pressing the forks lowers back and forward or hold the lowers and stanctions in one hand and the front brake then push the bike forward and back.

Service is dead easy especially if coils.

nicko74

Ah, good point on turning it upside down, will do that.

They’re air U-turn; biggest issue seems to be the tools for removing the old bushings and installing the new…

Northwind

If you stick your finger between the crown and stanchions you ought to be able to feel the play. I think you’ve got a bit more diagnosis to do tbh but it’s not unrealistic.

nicko74

OK, will check. If the oil level’s low – from sitting unused for a while – would that result in a loose feeling, if the bushings are normally bathed in oil?

darrenspink
    Free Member

No matter how much oil you have in the lowers (it’s only a few drops anyway) it won’t stop movement. You could get a rusty surprise though when you pull those lowers off.

nuke

^ what NW said. I’m failing to see how bushings wear out by being sat in the garage if they were fine before they went in the garage. Having said that, if they have been sat, the least they need is going to be a lower leg service

Replacing seals might be a diy job but replacing bushings is not for your average diyer imo.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fork bushings gone?’ is closed to new replies.