Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fork Assembly Grease
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I would appreciate your counsel with regard to a suitable grease for re-assembly of a suspension forks inner gubbins. I was thinking Silicone grease, am I on the right track? any cheapish recommendations?

soobalias
    Free Member

im still using m prep.
    wasnt cheap, but the bit i bought nearly 10yrs ago is still going strong, so pretty good value

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Don’t want to pay the MTB fashion tax. Rebranding for twice the price and a fraction of the quantity, just doesn’t sit well with me and is not something I will encourage or put my own money down for.

Something from Morris Lubricants if possible would be good.

gee
    Free Member

I use Silkolene red grease – RG7 or something.

nuke

Tried a few (mprep too sticky, RnR superslick to runny and dark so you didn’t know if it was dirt contaminated) and settled on Buzzy’s Slick Honey

JoeG
    Free Member

andy4d

I got a small tin of k12 red rubber grease for about £3.50 on amazon, small tin but goes a long way on bike forks.

nickdavies

Stendec fork grease, I’m sure it was only around a tenner and I can never see me running out of it and I’m probably servicing a set of forks every month.

superleggero
    Free Member

Recently bought some Buzzys Slick Honey suspension grease in a 30ml sachet from an ebay seller – all you need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buzzys-Slick-Honey-Suspension-Fork-Grease-RockShox-Fox-X-Fusion-Mtb-Bike-Buzzys-/171901948062?var=470825171221&hash=item280627909e

teasel
    Free Member

Aside from the Silkolene all these suggestions fall outside the requirements of the OP.

Don’t want to pay the MTB fashion tax. Rebranding for twice the price and a fraction of the quantity, just doesn’t sit well with me and is not something I will encourage or put my own money down for.

As far as Morris stuff goes – can’t see anything but suspension fluid. Take the chance with their multi purpose grease; maybe it’ll be fine on the seals and stuff, maybe it won’t. You pays your money etc.

RustyNissanPrairie

Dow corning silicone grease. End of thread.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ gee – We have a winner it’s Silkolene Pro RG2.

Can’t get the proper spec just a silly brochure with the NLGI 2 consistency number and no reference to the base oil, thickener or additives whatsoever. WTF is wrong with these d!<k splashes now-a-days! not the lovely peeps on here obviously thanks to all 🙂

Northwind

I got a big tub of slick honey- buying it in small volumes is extortionate but this tub’ll probably last my lifetime. (it’s £6.50 for the 1oz packet, or £35 for 16 times as much in the tub). No rebranding of industrial products here, it’s sold under a couple of different names for different industries but it was designed as suspension grease. (I gather they also make judy butter, though it’s not exactly the same stuff)

Pro RG2 is a much stickier grease- whether that matters or not, I couldn’t say. I’ve no doubt it’ll do the job though.

tillydog
    Free Member

…I was thinking Silicone grease…

I wouldn’t use silicone grease for fork internals IMHO as I doubt it would be miscible with the fork oil. Any surplus / loose gobs of silicone grease won’t dissolve in the fork oil, so could end up floating around and blocking up a damping orifice, or something.

£0.02

allan23
    Free Member

Never get the fuss over paying for MTB grease. Bought a tiny tube of some grease from TF Tuned last time I bought seals. It was a few quid and it works.

I could probably get five times as much of a similar grease for 50p, but the little tube of stuff from TF tuned will probably still have a bit left in when they’re dropping me in a hole in the ground and I won’t be leaving massive quantity of value for money grease for my nearest and dearest to throw in a skip when I’m dead 🙂

Northwind

I think that depends a lot on whether or not you service your forks 😆 I’ve gone through enough of my big tub to make it make sense, on forks and dropper posts, and hub pawls. I got one of the 1oz syringes originally but it’s long done.

walleater

I wouldn’t really call Slickoleum / Slick Honey overpriced MTB specific stuff. It’s used in motor bikes, paint ball guns etc. The small 1oz tubs are a bit of a waste but the 10oz ones last forever.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ tillydog – Thats the point it’s not supposed to get washed off by the fork oil, obviously you don’t lather it on in huge gloops.

Suppose it’s a bit like Dielectric grease, an insulator used to protect contact surfaces, counter-intuitive but works in harsh environments.

tillydog
    Free Member

Where, specifically, are you thinking of using it? (I’ve probably got a different interpretation of ‘assembly’ in mind.)

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Stop Press: update to this enthralling and dramatic thread.

Just pulled up the spec for the Slick Honey suggested and it’s a Calcium Stearate thickner, NGLI 2 so that narrows it down some.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fork Assembly Grease’ is closed to new replies.