• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fork advice – replacement or service
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So I’ve a 26er SC Superlight with a 120mm RockShox Recon Solo Air fork (stock D XC build kit), and a “portly” at ~90kg in by birthday suit first thing in the morning (so probably pushing 100kg on the bike). On my local vertically-challenged trails the fork is fine but over the summer I did some riding in Scotland and on some of the fast rockier downhills (the XC at Innerleithen for example) the fork seemed to be struggling to absorb the terrain, chattering away and not giving the feeling of control. It’s generally also never had the plushness that friends burlier 140mm Fox 36 floats have when I fiddle enough that it doesn’t seem to bottom out easily. As I said at 100kg on the bike I’m off the end of the pressure guide so I guess this is affecting performance. This bothered me but I wasn’t sure what the best resolution would be.

Then today I discovered that work is giving me a ten year bonus of 200 quid which will nicely pay for either a “fat boy” fork tune for the Recon, or a refurbished replacement fork… Flatoutcycles had a Fox 32 Float FIT for £180, and now have a X-Fusion Velvet for £200 or a RockShox SID Dual Air for £260. Now I can justifiably do something, but I’m not sure what! Oh sage experts at Singletrack, advice me!

Ross

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I wouldn’t throw money at the Recons, and the forks from Flatout will be second hand. Many many many people ride poorly set up forks, and the range of adjustment on cheaper forks may not cover your needs.

What is the problem with your forks? Are they blowing through the travel, or is it more the rebound getting overwhelmed? O wouldn’t worry about the Rockshox recommended pressures. These are generally nonsense in my experience. What feels right and works is best.

Maybe a service with fresh oils will rejuvenate them? If they are motion control, stick with the recommended oil levels in the damping leg, but think about a heavier oil – maybe 7.5wt?

A small (and I mean small) amount of oil in the air side will help make the spring more progressive if your sag is OK but you are bottoming out. Keep the lowers well lubed too.

Recons are simple forks to work on and you can experiment with weights and levels. I wouldn’t bother with a pro-tune, and I’d save your bonus towards a mid to high range fork from someone who can set it up/tune it to your needs.

rossburton
    Free Member

So the problem seems to be that they’ll easily blow through travel – eg on the descents at Cannock Chase where there is breaking bumps on a switchback. Put more air in so they stay together there and there’s a lack of sensitivity on small sharp hits.

I guess Mr Sensible would say get them serviced (it’s been a couple of years since the last service) and find a pathological piece of trail that can be sessioned… not sure I’m fit enough to session Lower Cliffs at Cannock though!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

If they have TK damping, change them.

adrec
    Free Member

Find a new set of velvets for about 280 and go for them. Mine have been great. Either that or some sektor coils. They’ll be about 250 and will be lovely and plush

rossburton
    Free Member

So the problem with the “buy a new fork” is that the frame only takes straight 1 1/8th steerers, none of this modern tapered nonsense…

LoCo
    Free Member

We have sektor coils in 1 1/8″ 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fork advice – replacement or service’ is closed to new replies.