Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Forgotten how my bike works! Slipping chain question?
  • Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

After a few years with no use, I’ve started riding my bike again.

Replaced all the cogs front and back, the chain is quite new (only ridden once or twice on older cogs).

Adjusted stuff as best I can, but chain seems to skip, especially when it’s on the smaller of the back cogs.

Any ideas what this is – adjustment? need new chain?

I used to know all this but I seem to have forgotten my most basic bicycle maintenance skills.

Ta.

dantsw13

Slipping on cogs is normally a sign of wear, but you say all is new. Is the rear cassette dirty? If grime gets lodged in the gears, especially the small cogs, it can cause skipping.

Not being rude, but are you sure all your stuff is compatible, ie 9 and 10 spd?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

no, it’s a fair question…it is all compatible

BadlyWiredDog

It could be any number of things: stop on the rear mech set slightly wrong, slightly out of alignment mech hanger, sticky cable, poorly indexed mech, slightly seized or worn jockey wheels etc. Process of elimination time…

euain

Try a new chain on it..? I’ve never had a chain work on a new cassette even when it’s only had a couple of outings on the old. I’d almost put money that that’d fix it!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Couple of outings on the old is exactly what it’s had – wasn’t sure if that would be enough.

In that case, I’ll order a new chain in, then start the process of elimination if it still does it!

cheers all

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Is it slipping or jumping between two sprockets? It won’t be the chain unless its slipping under load. It might just need a simple gear adjustment.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Could be cable tension on rear mech, try a tweak to the barrel adjust on mech end of cable if you have one? Turning the pedals you should be able to dial out the slipping chain.
    Richard

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Slipping rather than jumping sprockets.

I went through the chain and found a stiff link – hoped that was it – replaced it with a good link, went for a ride and although it’s skipping much less, it is still doing it, although only (or at least most noticeably) when in higher longer gears.

Reckon I’ll try a new chain.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Forgotten how my bike works! Slipping chain question?’ is closed to new replies.