Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 283 total)
  • Forget tuition fees, how expensive is Diesel now
  • Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I cannot believe there is a garage down the road from me where diesel is now £1.26 a litre, it is getting out of hand….. So where are the fuel strikes then?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

£1.23 in Fife – 10 miles from the Grangemouth refinery.

aP
    Free Member

129.9 on the A4 in Hounslow.

LHS
    Free Member

And yet you will pay the equivalent of £6 for a litre of beer!

Blower
    Free Member

Riot!

country’s fecked.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

We picked a bad time to buy a sub 30mpg (usually sub 25mpg) diesel methinks… Until it snows again…

squiff
    Free Member

It’s just something we will all have to get use to, everything is going up, another recession on it’s way me thinks.

mrmo
    Free Member

currently 121.9 at the local waitrose, and why it is the cheapest i have never figured out. Govenments new year present is a c4p/l rise.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Keeps poor people off the road though 😉 😆

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

“And yet you will pay the equivalent of £6 for a litre of beer! “

Its more fun drinking beer than sitting on the M25…

Dibbs
    Free Member

My gas guzzler is costing me just over 8p per mile in diesel 😆

fbk
    Free Member

‘Tiz getting stupid really. And unfortunately it seems to be a fair target for the “super green just so long as it wins us votes” Government too.

And not really comparable to beer is it LHS. I pay a hell of a lot more per litre for inkjet ink but that won’t get me drunk or power my car!

cozz
    Free Member

£1.28 here in notts

cost me £82 to fill my ford ranger today !

use about 5 tankfulls a month – costs me more than my mortgage !!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I had a near £80 refill this weekend – the most I have EVER spent on fuel in one go – ARRGHHHH!

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Strike!!! 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Costs £70 or so to fill the Passat, but that is usually good for 750 miles 🙂

Seems to me that whilst petrol is at a record high, diesel isn’t. I’ve seen diesel at £1.31 in Cardiff, now it’s about £1.23.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

wait until next month, when it’ll go up even more!

LHS
    Free Member

I think it is applicable. Most modern diesel cars will run at about 10p per mile. Who’s to say that is too expensive? Do you think that being able to drive 200 miles for £20 is expensive?

fbk
    Free Member

LHS – All depends on you outlook I suppose. Yes, I do think it’s expensive, especially when not that long ago it was around 20% less than that.
    You could say using the marvel of the internal combustion engine to burn a tiny amount of fuel over 200 miles is worth £30 if the expense isn’t that important/significant to you. Unfortunately, when you do around 30-35k a year, it gets significant.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Peak oil. The only way is up..
    But it will need to get a LOT more expensive before it gets folks off their bums to reduce their carbon footprints. Bring it on I say..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Riot!

country’s fecked.

I’m sure a riot will force OPEC to increase production. Unfortunately the boss of at least one major oil company appears to be very happy with the current global oil price….

Total CEO says oil at $90/bbl is a good price

Dibbs
    Free Member

Do you think that being able to drive 200 miles for £20 is expensive?

Yes, when I can do it for £16 😉

billyboulders
    Free Member

Mat – Asda Falmouth, cheapest I’ve found “around our way” 4.5p per litre cheaper than my nearest garage, worth driving the extra miles if you’re filling right up (mind you my slightly less exotic Focus can return a good 50mpg)

What I don’t get is this: If I go to my nearest forecourt, a Tesco store with own brand garage, tankers etc. Diesel is 125.9p per litre yet if I drive 6 or 7 miles to the next Tesco garage it is 123.9p per litre. The same tanker delivers it. The milk (for example) is the same price at both stores. How does that work?

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’m with fbk on this one, I’m self employed and do about 30-40k a year so it really hurts the finances when it goes up. So much for helping small business when it seems so easy to raise revenue via fuel.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Billy – good shout. I’m heading that way next week – will top up!

LR Defender exotic?! 😉 😆

billyboulders
    Free Member

Compared to a mk1 focus estate……Yep 😉

jonb
    Free Member

Diesel is quite cheap when you think how much effort goes into making it.

Still it doesn’t help people who need to drive anywhere. One of our large concerns when buying a house was that we would not have to drive to get around. We have good public transport or we are within cycling distance or even walkin distance at the minute.

You should think yourself lucky you are not reliant on train travel. At least the Diesel coming out of the pump will work.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

…unless it comes to a race.

mk1 Focus estate – 1
    LR Defender 110 – 0

mrmo
    Free Member

problem is not just the price of fuel goes up, but the cost of goods delivered has to cover the increased transport costs.
    We can all dream about a car free world but for now there are too many vested interests preventing it happening

Hairychested
    Free Member

Time to consider tesco economy cooking oil?

trailmonkey

So where are the fuel strikes then?

They were all Tory activists weren’t they ?

Be suprised if we hear much from them just now.

spooky_b329

It can’t be too expensive yet…I’ll still drive 2 miles to the supermarket once a week rather than walk and do a small shop every couple of days instead…

Most of my neighbours appear to do the same so its obviously worth £1.20+ a litre to them as well!

And we still drag the horsebox about at weekends which means my camper drops to a measly 20mpg…drinks like a fish even when trying to drive economically.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its too cheap – no incentive to reduce consumption! Non car users subsidise car users £100o each a year

*Ducks and covers*

LHS
    Free Member

For once i agree with TJ.

br
    Free Member

Diesel £1.30 in Bucks, petrol £1.24 – that’ll be about £99 to fill up the Beemer…

k-sugden
    Free Member

Just come back from Fuerteventura around 77 cent a litre thats 66p tax is a wonderful thing not

molgrips
    Free Member

How does that work?

Hehe.. you are thinking in terms of a ‘cost plus’ pricing model. That is, you charge what the thing cost you plus a bit for your trouble.

Most things that sell on a large scale are not priced this way. They charge as much as they can before sales start to drop off too much. So for example, in a town there would be lots of petrol stations competing for business, so prices will be driven down. If you’ve got one petrol station on one side of the road then another on the other side HAS to charge the same otherwise absolutely no-one will go there.

If however you’ve got a petrol station on the bypass a couple of miles from town, you can charge more since loads of non-local people will be driving past and fill up there without knowing that it’s cheaper in town, or not considering it worth it to leave their route.

There will be factors influencing why the other tesco is cheaper – you could probably figure it out if you fancy a puzzle.

uplink
    Free Member

I can pretty much attribute most of my mileage to business use one way or another so I’m not too concerned as long as the gov allowed fuel rates keep reasonable pace

fbk
    Free Member

To be fair, yes diesel is cheap when you consider the processes involved etc. What isn’t cheap is the end result after the wodge of tax stuck on it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Non car users subsidise car users £100o each a year

That doesn’t seem enough. Where is the incentive for them to go out and buy a car ? …… so that they can contribute the same level of tax as everyone else.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 283 total)

The topic ‘Forget tuition fees, how expensive is Diesel now’ is closed to new replies.