Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Forget the what size wheel debate….
  • oliwb
    Free Member

Has anyone else suddenly realised that there’s been a silent revolution in steerer size? Whilst we’ve all been worried about 26″ wheels becoming obsolete the manufacturers have been slowly and surely removing the old straight 1-1/8″ steerer option from all of the their “trail” and “enduro” forks.

I have an alpine 160 that I’m particularly fond of that has developed a problem with the Fox 36’s….seems like my only options for replacements are BOS, X-Fusion and Marzocchi. I’m not slagging their offerings more a general observation that whilst needlessly worrying about 26″ future compatibility and supply, a bunch of suspension manufacturers have quietly discontinued support of the 1-1/8″ standard….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think most of us have, yes.

andybrad

yup what he said

jobro
    Free Member

I think most of us have, yes.

…and embraced it all

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Yup, you aren’t the only one to notice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes we’ve noticed. It will be used forks for me for a while yet. I have a straight steerer frame yet to be built up.

Kahurangi

Yep, it was part of the reason I caved in and bought a completely new bike. As much as I hate being a lackey to the marketing men who have made an infinite number of minuscule ‘improvements’, nothing on my old bike was upgradeable.

For an average trail/mountain biker

While 1 1/8″ straight used to be gnarly enough, now I need tapered.
    While 20 mm maxle used to be lightweight enough, now I need 15 mm.
    While HT2 outboard bearings used to be stiff enough, now I need press-fit.
    While a QR rear wheel used to be stiff enough, now I need 13somethign mm bolt-through.
    While wheels used to be round and approx 26″ in diameter, now they don’t roll well enough and I need a 29er or 650b.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Now that explains why my bike looks funny I thought it was just a way to make the bike slacker by using a spacer in the steerer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Forget the what size wheel debate….’ is closed to new replies.