Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Forget the 29er. Meet the Two-Oh!
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Twenty-niner mountain bikes may be the new thing but the new new thing is the two-oh. Today mountain bike manufacturers Trek and Specialized have announced a new line-up of hardtail and full suspension mountain bikes with 20-inch wheels. The new bikes make use of standard 20-inch BMX wheels so there will be plenty of tire and wheel options available immediately from dozens of manufacturers.

The 20-inch mountain bike wheel has many advantages over the standard 26er. First, 20-inch wheels are stronger than larger wheels which means you can huck them all day long without worrying about coming home with two soft tacos. The new, smaller wheels are also super nimble in corners and allow the skilled rider to cut 90-degree corners without harshing the flow.

One of the complaints some riders have about 29ers is the big wheels take more energy to get rolling. Not so with the two-oh. Acceleration is nearly instantaneous on two-oh mountain bikes but the trade-off is they take more energy to keep rolling.

Bottom bracket clearance is a bit of an issue for two-oh bikes and we’re told the next iteration should address some of the issues. In the meantime it’s not advisable to ride over sticks larger than two inches in diameter or to use crank arms longer than 150mm.

Yes sir, mountain bike technology is constantly changing and we’re stoked to have yet another wheel size option. Mark this date down in your history books – April 1, 2010; the two-oh will change the MTB landscape forever!

Link

KINGTUT
    Free Member

That’ll be April the 1st then.

noteeth
    Free Member

Nice Brompton-esque picture.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alfabus
    Free Member

there might be a bit of an issue with the chainstays there… i don’t think they’re going to stand up to much punishment; what with not joining up with the rocker and all.

Dave

foxyrider
    Free Member

It’s after midday, surely?

I live in America 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Chain line looks a bit dodgy.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Found this one ?

organic355
    Free Member

isnt the pedal gonna hit the floor on the 1st one?

foxyrider
    Free Member

First one was a prototype?

epicyclo

Mmm, looks like I was ahead of the trend 😀

It may be April 1, but all the arguments advanced as to why a 26″ bike is better than a 29er, can logically be applied to why a 20″ bike is better than a 26″.

Total bollocks, of course. 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Its the new Norco 20″ DH bike I was most interested in…

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool bike – when does it hit the shops? 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Forget the 29er. Meet the Two-Oh!’ is closed to new replies.