Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Forestry Commission not on list of quangos to be axed but
  • stumpyjon

‘Retain and substantially reform – Details of reform will be set out by Defra later in the autumn as part of the Government’s strategic approach to forestry in England. The Forestry Commission in Wales may move to form part of a WAG Environmental Body. ‘

from the document released today on the future of QUANGOS, let’s just hope they beome more involved with recreational activities rather than less.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes lets just look at the big picture here.
    I am certian Big society needs more MTB parks for middle class audi drivers with 3 k dandy horses to play on whilst we cripple the public services poor people need.
    Excellent point Stumpyjohn excellent.

Pook

Surely the main role of the forest commission is to ensure profitable running of the lumbar/timber industry, and tourism (ie: biking etc) is simply a sideline?

As long as the industry is protected that’s the most important thing

hels
    Free Member

“substantially reform” is that not just political speak for “strip it back to make is a saleable concern and then sell it” ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I seem to remember hearing that recreation/conservation has become much more important to the FC in recent years.

Good, I say. We don’t want the whole of upland Britain to be sterile monoculture. At least, I don’t.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Surely the main role of the forest commission is to ensure profitable running of the lumbar/timber industry, and tourism (ie: biking etc) is simply a sideline?

As long as the industry is protected that’s the most important thing

I think the original role of the forestry commision was to supply timber for railways and wars after so much was used during the first world war to build trenches. Maybe we need to declare war on someone…oh we already did… Not seen many trenches in the war on terror mind.

CaptJon
    Free Member

konaboy2275 – Member

Given the amount of land they own if they were only concerned with timber production there would be a lot fewer places to ride.

slowjo
    Free Member

to ensure profitable running of the lumbar/timber industry

So they are going in for physiotherapy then?

to ensure profitable running of the lumber/timber industry

Fixed it for you.

stumpyjon

I am certian Big society needs more MTB parks for middle class audi drivers with 3 k dandy horses to play on

Oh grow up and stop being so bitter.

If you actually spend any time at trail centres you’ll see that all sorts of people on all sorts of bikes use them. At Gisburn last week we were passed by people on 3k dandy horses, super market specials and families with young kids. Surely that’s helping society in as much as it’s giving people the opportunity to get out and do something healthy which is good for them and the NHS.

As for Big Society, well for example a lot of the trails at Gisburn have been built by volunteers for the enjoyment of others, isn’t that exactly what Cameron is trying to do more of, get people to help themselves and others and not rely on the state all the time, cos let’s face all the expensive adverts on TV and the five a day advisors were a really good and effective use of government money [/sarcasm]

The main reason behind the forestry commission has long since disappeared, they now take on a much more active conservation role and actively promote healthy recreational activities. Don’t forget there are far more people from other user groups using the forests than mountain bikers.

I think you’ll find far more vans and beaten up estate cars in most forestry carparks than you will Audis. Anyway what have you got against people with Audis who want to get and out and enjoy a healthy activity. Or should anybody who’s earnt a bit of money be victimised because they don’t fit your personal stereotype of who’s a worthy citizen and who’s not.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I do work for Aston Hill in Wendover Woods. If the FC went belly up, what would actually happen to the woodland there?

Aside from their commercial motives, they are a substantial national land owner (a very precious resource) and protectorate – I for one am incredibly pleased that they’ve been left alone.

Oh yes – don’t see too many Audis and dandies on t’Hill – a lot more vans and working Land Rovers. 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Forestry Commission not on list of quangos to be axed but’ is closed to new replies.