Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Forest of Dean: Route help please………….
  • switchbacktrog
    Free Member

We’re holidaying in the FoD again early next month, and was after some route help. We stayed in Lydbrook last year and did loads of riding(marked trails), and walked a fair bit as well, spotting some nice trails on the way.

This year we’re closer to Pedalabikeaway and were looking for a day long route of about 20/25 miles with pub lunch etc.

I’ve found this route on-line Staunton Loop and wondered if it was OK. It looks like it may perhaps follow parts of the Enduro route to start with (anti-clockwise?), then Mile End Cemetery, Christchurch, Staunton, Redbrook, Newland, then back towards the trail centre.

I seem to remember from walking last year that it was really wet and boggy around Marian’s Enclosure to the Long Stone.

We don’t mind riding “cheeky trails” but don’t want to be humping the tandem over stiles etc.

Any advice or better routes would be welcome………..

v666ern
    Free Member

try a search for the wild boar chase, somebody should have a gpx. It’ll be my first year next week but theres a short and long and AFAIK the long takes in redbrook etc.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Seen those routes………….bit too fire-roadish for me.

v666ern
    Free Member

tandem

enduro track

bit too fire-roadish for m

how gnar core are you!? 😯 😀

looks like a nice route, as to how much singletrack is there i dunno, any locals around?

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Just bumping this one……….any FoD experts out there?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

The route you have looks like fire roads. Staunton has somw of the best tracks around. Probably world class enduro scale. difficult to find and there are probably 10-15 tracks spread out over the area. Really need someone to show you them.

I would recommend the dowies/shutcastle area. Its in the forest between ellwood and parkend. Are you on strava? Easy to locate with segment explore feature. Tracks all over the place

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Just had a look on Strava and found some routes. Ill see if I can link any of them in. Not sure how much of this route is fire road, I’ve looked in a few places on street view where it crosses the roads, and a couple looked like singletrack.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Switchback…do yoy have an email. Gave a gpx for you.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Hopk1ns – Member
    Switchback…do yoy have an email. Gave a gpx for you.

englishjohn95@gmail.com

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

you got mail 🙂

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Just back from FoD………….We did the Staunton loop which we modified to take out some fire road and tarmac by using some Strava segments as guidance. There was a reasonable amount of singletrack, although the strava segments we used in the the Knockalls Inclosure area at Staunton were right on the limit for the tandem. Couldn’t keep the stoker on the pedals, same on the Sheepskull downhill route at the trail centre. Only managed the first 3rd before she refused to go any further. I’d not used the “descend” position on the shock before, but once in that position, the improvement was MASSIVE.

Launch Pad is ace for a tandem, did it 3 times, gradually increasing to a speed where I could just about keep her on the back…………Maxxed out @ 31mph.

Thanks for all the help, great week in FoD with a rented cottage just a few hundred metres from Pedalabikeaway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean: Route help please………….’ is closed to new replies.