Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Forest of Dean rides
  • nickdj
    Free Member

My wife and I are staying in the Forest of Dean for two weeks at the end of the month.
    Any ideas for rides would be welcome?

Nick

CountZero

Crikey, there are loads. The FODCA route is the most heavily used, and signposted, but there are miles of trails through the trees that the locals ride.
    They are very subtle, usually only a slight opening through the trees along a fire road or tyre marks in some mud give a clue, and once in the trees the trails are barely marked, just branches laid on the ground and the larch needles being lighter where tyres flatten them and tyre marks looping around trees as the trail switchbacks and slaloms through the forest. Fantastic fun, if you are riding with someone who knows the trails intimately; I’ve spent an entire day riding in an area no more than a couple of miles from the cycle centre. Ask there if there’s a local rider or group you could meet up with who could guide you round. I used to ride with a mate who worked in John’s Bikes in Bath, who rides up there very often, and has done for many years, but I’m damned if I could find my way around on my own!

CountZero

Here’s a section of the OS map for the Forest, the cycle centre is outlined in red, and the grid ref is at the top. You can see the tracks that go off through the forest, and there are many that aren’t marked, because they change all the time.

psling
    Free Member

Where abouts are you staying in the area?

fodmtbguides
    Free Member

Drop me a line , maybe able to help

nickdj
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, have emailed you fodmtb
    Looking forward to it but may need a canoe if it carries on raining!!!
    Nick

nickdj
    Free Member

Staying in Staunton

Cletus

If you have a satnav you can download the route for the FOD Enduro from the page below – top right.

http://www.fodmbe.org.uk/dean_enduro_mtb.php

mattsccm
    Free Member

Or follow the groove!

psling
    Free Member

nick dj – Member
    Staying in Staunton

Ooh, I live just outside Staunton 8) – email in profile, drop me a line if you want and I can mark your maps up / point you in right direction when you’re here. Some good local trails (but has been some harvesting in area recently).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean rides’ is closed to new replies.