Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Forest of Dean off piste
  • timidwheeler
    Free Member

Hi,
    I would be very grateful for any hints and tips on where to hunt for some off piste stuff. I’ve had a quick look on Strava. Can anyone tell me some segments I should look for? Or just what area.
    Cheers.

mboy
    Free Member

Knowing the FoD as well as I do (better than most, not as well as some), and that it has taken me 15 years or so of riding there to build up my current knowledge… Either pay a guide (which you can do), or ask nicely for members on here that will show you round in return for coffee and cake.

Most of the trails/Strava segments aren’t at all obvious, you may end up riding some of them by accident but more than likely you may not.

That said, if you really insist on exploring on your own, go and Park your car in Park End or Ellwood and have an explore in the woods that side, rather than at the Pedalabikeaway centre. Here’s a link to a 45km ride I took a load of guys on a few months ago down there… Lots of off piste singletrack thrown in for good measure, but even with a Garmin 800/810 I doubt you’d find half of it on your own.

https://www.strava.com/activities/350458247

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Cheers.
    As I’m currently sat in my tent trying to decide where to ride today. I won’t be getting a guide. I’m happy to explore and have an 800 and Strava.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wilko1999
    Free Member

Look on strava for segments with dowies, bluebell or shutcastle in the title. Exploring those areas should keep you occupied for a while

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Perfect!
    Thanks. Where’s the best place for a bacon sandwich for breakfast. Also best pub for dinner?
    Cheers 😀

TheWrongTrousers

wilko1999
    Free Member

Dean Forest Cycles in Parkend has a good cafe. Also in Parkend are The Fountain and The Woodman, both do good pub food, and very near the above mentioned trails

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Good call on Dean Forest Cycles. Nice food.
    We found some really good trails. My favourite was Dowies 1. Where can I find Dowies 2 (3?)?

TheStationer
    Free Member

If you have found 1 just keep right at start of 1 and the rest are along there plus a few others including Murdocs ! Classics

Plus they all finish at the same place so if you not sure just push back up them to find the starts

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I thought we had found 1. We also found something with a big start ramp which got a bit technical. Am I in the right place?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

if you post up in advance mate plenty would have offered to show you the local trails

timidwheeler
    Free Member

On Friday, I finished work early, Mr TW got to work from home, weather forecast looked good…
    Car packed and out the door 30 mins after getting home. Spontaneous trip! Grateful for any advice.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If you ask in Parkend cycles to tell you where the yellow pottery place is about couple of miles from Parkend cant remember the name sorry over the road is a fireroad go up there and you will see where Dowies 1 to 4 finish there is a track on the right which will take you to the top.Up same fireroad and further up on left is where the 3 Bluebell runs are and even further along on right by a big knoll is Merrdocks and Dowies 5 and when you finish Dowies 5 on a fire road turn right and head for about mile then you will see the shutcastle ones.This might sound a lot of double dutch was down there few weeks ago came across 3 guys from the midlands by the quarry show them all of those and more.They were very handy on bike.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If you ask in Parkend cycles to tell you where the yellow pottery place is about couple of miles from Parkend cant remember the name sorry over the road is a fireroad go up there and you will see where Dowies 1 to 4 finish there is a track on the right which will take you to the top.Up same fireroad and further up on left is where the 3 Bluebell runs are and even further along on right by a big knoll is Merrdocks and Dowies 5 and when you finish Dowies 5 on a fire road turn right and head for about mile then you will see the shutcastle ones.This might sound a lot of double dutch was down there few weeks ago came across 3 guys from the midlands by the quarry show them all of those and more.They were very handy on bike.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Picked the right weekend, trails running great

timidwheeler
    Free Member

if you ask in Parkend cycles to tell you where the yellow pottery place is about couple of miles from Parkend cant remember the name sorry over the road is a fireroad go up there and you will see where Dowies 1 to 4 finish there is a track on the right which will take you to the top.Up same fireroad and further up on left is where the 3 Bluebell runs are and even further along on right by a big knoll is Merrdocks and Dowies 5 and when you finish Dowies 5 on a fire road turn right and head for about mile then you will see the shutcastle ones.This might sound a lot of double dutch..

😯

Umm..

😀

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Actually the above was very helpful. We had a great couple of days using the area like a bike park. Thanks all.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean off piste’ is closed to new replies.