• This topic has 41 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Forest of Dean Enduro – start time & conditions
  • woody71
    Free Member

Anyone doing the FoD event on Sunday (I have signed up for 4 laps in a moment of madness)?

I’m not sure what time the event starts and am driving from London so don’t want to miss the start! The website says 10.30 – anyone able to confirm?

Also anyone know if it is muddy?

Ta

Woody

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yes I’m doing it. Start time of 10:30 sounds right. A mate rode the course today and said it was riding real nice, no rain forecast for days either so should be great fun, result!

widge34
    Free Member

10.30 start for 4 laps
    10.40 for 2 laps
    10.50 for 1 lap

mboy
    Free Member

Rode most of the course today, it’s riding lovely. Ground is soft enough for the tyres to bite (so I wouldn’t run semi slicks for instance) but it’s not wet enough to be muddy. Really quick and grippy at the moment, kinda gutted I won’t be able to make it on Sunday to do a 2 lapper!

Good luck to those doing 4 laps… It’s quite a physically demanding course, you don’t get much respite from the lovely technical terrain that you do on more boring courses, and some of the descents are steeper and more technical than you find on an average Enduro course.

You will enjoy it though!

woody71
    Free Member

Thanks all and good luck!

argee

I’m hoping to go tomorrow to FoD for a blast around, is it quite busy, or issues with the course, i’ve read the updates saying that a bit of the Freeminers trail is out of bounds due to it being part of the enduro course, so is it still worth a trip?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Freeminers crosses the enduro route, but they don’t really share any sections. Think some of Freeminers is out of action because it’s being extended. Still worth going, you could ride the enduro loop (might be marked out already), do Verderers, bits of Freeminers, try some of the DH sections, there’s tons to do, and that’s without venturing further afield than the Pedalabikeaway area

mboy
    Free Member

Freeminers is out of bounds really, they’re doing a lot of alterations to it that are not yet finished. Had a sneak peak today, looks like it should be good, but not fully rideable yet.

The Enduro course is fully marked out (just follow the yellow paint on the floor, and the occasional marker on a tree). It’s a LOT more fun than mincing about on Verderers, or the Freeminers (as was) anyway, so I’d go and ride it tomorrow if I were you. Quite a few were out practicing it today anyway.

Could always do a loop out to Dowies and back to avoid the hordes also!

argee

Whereabouts is Dowies in relation to the Enduro loop, is it easy to find and loop in?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Err no it’s nowhere near the Enduro, you really need a guide to find it for the first time. Well worth it though there’s loads of awesome trails in that area, and in the surrounding enclosures.

brodie
    Free Member

Not too muddy then? Ive just put my Trailrakers on for it.

Mind you its rained on the start line for the last two years dont see why this year will be different!!!!!

mboy
    Free Member

Not too muddy then? Ive just put my Trailrakers on for it.

Not been looking at the forecast then? 20 odd degrees all weekend, and no rain… Nothing like giving yourself a massive disadvantage by running a totally unsuitable tyre! Even in the depths of winter, the FoD drains pretty well, and a full mud tyre only makes sense in very few areas. The Enduro course takes in a lot of footy Singletrack, where a larger volume, sticky(er) rubber tyre makes a lot more sense than a narrow mud tyre…

Your choice though! Don’t say I didn’t warn you…

brodie
    Free Member

mboy – Bit condescending but thanks all the same! Guess ill have another think about tyres.

Anyone know if the course is the same as last year? Does it still head into that bottleneck at the top of the hill just after the start?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yeah it does Brodie. Think they are starting it a bit further back to help thin out the field but there’ll still be a bottleneck there I reckon

mboy
    Free Member

Apologies, was 3 (maybe 4) pints of cider down when I posted that last night! Ooops 😕

Anyway, forecast is maybe a little optimistic given it’s drizzling steadily in South Wales right now, but I’d still expect it to be dry tomorrow with very little standing water or muddy patches. Mud tyres would be more hindrance than help IMO.

widge34
    Free Member

well I live 8 miles from the enduro course, and its dry here and quite warm.

brodie
    Free Member

mboy – No worries.

I might hang back a bit on the start this year, it got a bit tense in those woods last time. Lot of people pushing past or crashing through the woods off course, lots of other people getting annoyed about it.

brodie
    Free Member

Everyone have fun?

I did, I forgot how enjoyable the last third is after all the climbs are out the way.

The start was much better this year, I was in the second group of 2 lapers.

widge34
    Free Member

I was in the second group of 2 lapers as well. Did first lap in 56mins and second in 1hr 5mins. Had to get off at the top of the last steep climb, I had cramp in the top of both legs, lost about 3mins there. It was great though, its a good course.

rOcKeTdOg

kinda gutted I won’t be able to make it on Sunday to do a 2 lapper!

i must have passed your twin then

good course, just technical enough to sort the wheat from the chaff, well sign posted and marshalled, we were in 1st place in the team comp until one of our riders, 1)got a flat 2)broke a spoke 3) broke his chain and lost 35 mins 😳

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Results – are wrong as i completed all four laps and don’t feature in results and someone has has been assigned my number and they only did 3!
    email sent 🙁

widge34
    Free Member

Are you looking at the results online? as these are the 2012 results

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

ha ha …. oops 🙂

Just clicked on results under 2013 enduro! doh by me

widge34
    Free Member

I made the same mistake.

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Apology email now sent….

mboy
    Free Member

i must have passed your twin then

Thought I saw you on the side of the course when I was finishing my 2nd lap…

And yes, managed to make it in the end! Came back from South Wales late last night (mate was doing Margam Madness yesterday) as I was desperate to do it.

The start was much better this year, I was in the second group of 2 lapers.

Yeah, start was pretty good I thought. People progressively ramped up the pace over 200-300 metres, rather than all racing each other from the line. I was in the same group brodie, burnt my legs off up the fireroad to try and get a clean run in through the first technical section and it paid off pretty well.

Don’t know where I came, but do know my time. 1:46:18, first lap 53:29 and second 52:49. Quite happy with that, didn’t get held up too much and certainly knew I’d put the effort in by the end.

Properly enjoyed it anyway, and to the guy (Ben I think) in the green shirt on the Trek Fuel EX 29er I spent most of a lap riding with, great stuff! Would be chuffed with that effort if I’d only been riding 6 months as he has!

EDIT: Just seen some of the quick boys lap times… Oh dear! Feel a bit inadequate now… 😕

Gilles

I was 5 min late at the 4 laps start, then I got a stitch trying to catch up which lasted all the laps, then I was starving on laps 4, and yes I do want some sympathy.

This was a great course, great weather and cake (there were a few left, thanks guys).

Brilliant

widge34
    Free Member

Gilles – Member
    I was 5 min late at the 4 laps start, then I got a stitch trying to catch up which lasted all the laps, then I was starving on laps 4, and yes I do want some sympathy.

This was a great course, great weather and cake (there were a few left, thanks guys).

Brilliant

Yeah I saw you arrive when i was waiting to go off with the two lappers.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

..and whos idea making the” finish “section by the fireroad for overspill carpark ..its not a very good idea to block that part of FOD 👿

Thumbs up for those participants in the race by the way.

brodie
    Free Member

Yeah, I enjoyed the start this year. Had the same idea, blew my lungs out up the road then got a fairly stressfree run through the first few singletrack bits.

Didnt hang around to check my time, didnt feel too fast probably a few minutes over an hour a lap. Second lap felt faster.

rOcKeTdOg

quick pics from today on the gopro

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The guy who won it was flying.Mate crashed on the last lap and lost a place near the end and was eighth in the 4 lap race.Good looking course.Y2k scares the hell out of some people,just not use to trails like that.

Gilles

Where was Y2k? Was it the great descent toward the end?

widge34
    Free Member

I love Y2K, but I do ride it a lot being local.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Yeah y2k was the last main descent, it’s great fun. There’s a great flat-out lead-in to it that I wish they’d include in the Enduro that makes it twice as long too. Enjoyed the race today, second lap spoilt by cramp a little but it eventually loosened off so I could carry on. Top 4 lap time was 2hrs 49, unreal…

rOcKeTdOg

2013 results now on the site

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers RD

Just downloaded the results… 16th overall and 8th in category for me!

😯

Needless to say I’m bloody ecstatic right now! 😛

rOcKeTdOg

VeloCake came 3rd in the team comp, if one of our team hadn’t punctured and broke his chain and a spoke we’d have got 2nd

brodie
    Free Member

I had to scroll a little further down!

widge34
    Free Member

31st in the veteran 2 lap category. Could have been a bit higher if i hadnt stopped for 3mins with cramp in both legs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean Enduro – start time & conditions’ is closed to new replies.