• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by golo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Forest of Dean conditions/Tyres ???
  • snap
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m off to FOD for the first time this weekend
    Been away from MTBs for a while so sorry for which tyre thread
    What are the current conditions like ?
    What tyres work well there ?
    Have Maxxis forecasters on at the moment any good or get something else ?
    Thanks

core

If it’s the main trail centre, almost anything will do I’d say

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conti Vert Pro.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Downhill or xc trails? The blue xc has been recently resurfaced and is smooth and grippy. The red xc and downhill trails are somewhat more natural so may want something a little more forgiving in the mud. Not deep gloopy mud, just a little softer than armoured. Basically anything not too smooth/bald. Forecaster will be fine.

rOcKeTdOg

Way marked trails, perfect. Off piste a tad muddy. Forecasters fine for the former, character building for the latter

snap
    Free Member

Thanks
    It’s the way marked trails we will be riding this weekend so I’ll run the forecasters
    For future reference what are you running for off piste stuff ?

mark90
    Free Member

For future reference what are you running for off piste stuff ?

Shorty at the moment, or maybe an MM. Paired with DHR2 rear.

trusty

Off piste is proper wet, at least it was last night. Magic Mary on the front seems to be the default option, I’ve tried the shorty but found it wasn’t as good on roots and rocks so have gone back to MM on both bikes.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Which off-piste is really muddy? All off it? I was hoping that the loamy stuff round Dowies would be ok?

doomanic

The Freeminers (Red) trail was a quagmire in places last weekend. Nobby Nics in 2.8″ aren’t really aggressive enough. I’d be looking at Magic Marys.

mark90
    Free Member

Not been Dowies way since the pre-christmas snow. I was East of Parkend last weekend and trails could go from sloppy to dry/firm and back again in a matter of meters.

bigblackshed

Filth, slop, bogfest.

Stay away, nothing to see here. Nothing at all.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Dowies etc is very muddy plus the Boars have been having a lot of fun that was New years day mind but we have been having plenty of rain at night in Gloucestershire lately saying that what places are not muddy last Sunday some of the Byways by Marlborough were total YUK Hay HO fun of winter.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Did Dowies etc etc 48km today its all fine. Even had my shorts on! Maxxis DHF and Aggressor 2.3. The Aggressor on the rear is instead of my normal DHR and it was even better IMHO. Running @ 20psi front and rear.

I don’t bother with freeminers red its not a great trail, fails to flow and poorly constructed. Lots of better stuff, corkscrew or sheepskull etc

mattsccm
    Free Member

Did most of Dowies yesterday on my CX bike with road tyres. Didn’t notice it being too bad. Hasn’t rained really for a few days. Just gloomy.

doomanic

Anyone fancy showing me round Dowies tomorrow or Sunday?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Go to the back of Ellwood footy pitch and follow the motorway.

doomanic

Where’s that in relation to the Cycle Centre?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Its a fair way from the cycle centre like a lot things easy when you know how no chance if you have not been there before off-road if you have a map as said above get to Ellwood and past school on right go to the end of that road which stops and turn right on the first track and that is the start of the first Dowies track and at end you see various ones coming in if you can get there,there is always riders there now to show you where they are plus the Bluebell trails the other side of fire road from the Dowies and also up the track to shutcastle.

golo
    Free Member

I heard Freeminers was closed for maintenance today. Anyone know if will be open tkmorrow?

I’ve a friend who’s planning to use it for a bike test.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean conditions/Tyres ???’ is closed to new replies.