Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Forest of Dean Blue + Babyseat
  • geologist
    Free Member

Am I OK to take my bike + kid in baby seat over the blue trail. At a safe pace of course! Or are there any obstacles that may make it to dangerous?

Cheers

fadda

Not sure I’d want to do it with a baby seat, but have considered taking my 5 y-o round on his tag-along. Probably more to do with him being big enough to take a tumble with more humour than a babe in a seat. (probably…).

geologist
    Free Member

Cheers,

My lads almost 3, so hes a bit more robust than a baby, still 50/50 though.
    Its just Ive never ridden there before so dont know exactly how ‘rough’ it is. Ive seen clips of it on youtube, and it looks OK ish for a childseat attempt.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Do the family route you fool!!

geologist
    Free Member

Its more about letting my wife have a blast, she wont go round it on her own, and shes new to biking so abit wary.

Obviously if its busy, wet, etc it wont be happeneing, and it will be the family route.

pedlad

I’d say no. Especially if its a saturday. It is plenty smooth enough to do at slow speed with baby seat but it’s a track which rewards speed. Little jumps and great berms all over the place all need some pace. Whilst you may be happy tootling along all the other people who have travelled there to do it at speed to get the best out of it are going to get quite annoyed with you.

The family trail has mini sections off it with bumps and berms so kids can have a try. They’re short but really good fun and that will suit your wife fine if she’s a nervous rider starting out.

geologist
    Free Member

Thanks pedlad, family trail sounds fine, Ill just have to talk kindly to her, and see if she will let me have an hour to my self!

DT78
    Free Member

Some sections are pretty steep plus I think you need to think about other trail users and when you decide to do this. I was very close to squashing some Orange 5 riders trail terrier on the descent 3 weeks ago on a Saturday. If someone was canning it down and then suddenly came across a bob along after railing a berm it could be interesting. I wouldn’t,t put my kid in danger.

geologist
    Free Member

cheers guys, its gonna be the family trail

amt27
    Free Member

is it a bad idea to take a 9 year old on the Verderers on a sunday, if people are using it as a race track?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Not challenging but perfectly long enough for a child seat ride

http://www.pedalabikeaway.co.uk/sitefiles/18/8/8/188870/cycletrailmap.pdf

Its not flat either!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Ignore the worriers and go for it. Apart from the final descent and that depends on your skill level . Its not technical, i did it many times on the carbon forked cx bike before it was open and I felt I was over biked, you can do it on anything. bugger anyone who thinks you are in the way.its a family track not for the racers. the final descent might get a few comments but so what, you won’t be in danger. the family trail is a diifernt thing. all flat gravel. Maybe thats what you want , maybe not

kayak23

+1 for ignoring the worriers…
    We took the 5 and 7 year olds down Cannock red route from the tackeroo site to the end, both on tagalongs. They loved it and despite my worries of holding folk up,I have to say that in fact it was the riders in front holding us up mostly.

Verderers would be a great trail to take the kids on.anyone who wants to go flat out will have the sense to realise people may be in front and in All likelihood you’ll heat them coming and simply pull to the side.

Go for it and have fun.

hugor
    Free Member

+ 2
    it’s a free world. I think people in wheelchairs, blind people with guide dogs, elderley in gophers, and mothers with prams should all have a go too. Anybody who wishes to ride there at a reasonable pace should go around them. It’s a trail centre that everybody can use. 🙄

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean Blue + Babyseat’ is closed to new replies.