Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Forest of Dean
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I am heading down to Bristol in November to visit relatives and will probably be doing an uplift day at Cwm Carn on the Saturday, but was wondering if it is worth stopping in here on the Friday for a spin? Is the stuff easy to find?

DT78
    Free Member

Yep I'd say worth an afternoon – I ride there reasonably regulary (parent's live nearby). If you park at the cycle centre the main DH & XC loop are pretty easy to find.

You could always ask in the cafe/miserable chap in the bike hut if you can't find the tyre tracks to follow.

Last time I went I did a quick run of the XC loop and it appears to have had the start point changed (was a bit confusing as it was muddy mush) and they've dumped lots of gravel down, I'd assume to help prevent erosion but it's also covered over a lot of the technical rooty bits. Bit disappointing.

The main DH is quite nice rooty/rough. If you push up past the fireroad there are a number of other smoother more jumpy tracks above it which are good fun.

Oh and last time I went a saw 6-7 wild boar which was a first!

mikey74
    Free Member

Boar huh? Could catch something for dinner too :mrgreen:

Probably give it a go, if I can get the Friday off, and the weather is okay.

sheldona
    Free Member

Wild boar are there but the chances of you seeing them are qyite slim tbh.

As far as routes go there is the FODCA trail but this is a bit short, the best stuff you'll never find without a local but follow your nose and you'll find something worth riding within that enclosure behind the cyclecenter.

You could always enter this and there'll be some guided rides going out!

Rickos
    Free Member

Definitely best to get a local if you possibly can. I've ridden there a few times, but never seem to find anything good on my own.

DT78
    Free Member

Yea – they are introducing them across the doward (and highland cattle as well according to the olds).

Wouldn't worry the boar were small and ran off in the opposite direction. Gave me a surprise though!

The family route can also be quite nice if you;ve got missus/kids too.

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers folks. No, kids or missus. Do fancy sessioning the DH tracks a bit.

llama

I take it you've ridden the bristol local stuff already?

mikey74
    Free Member

I take it you've ridden the bristol local stuff already?

Nope, didn't know there was any: I don't live there.

mikey74
    Free Member

Is there a starting point/parking for the FOD that I can find on Multimap?

DT78
    Free Member
    oldfart

mike date dependent i could go a spin round ashton court in bristol if you want .or if you got a bit more time i could show you round the quantocks .not up to your usual tech fest but plenty of woodsy singletrack .let me know if it's not too tame for you !

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers mate, will contact you nearer the time, if I can sort it the time off.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean’ is closed to new replies.