Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • forest of bowland.. roadie routes …
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

am going to stay in clitheroe for a week soon, taking the bike, local knowledge is always best, any recomended loops etc from clitheroe– much appreciated inadvance–cafes’ n pubs also…..

wors

Literally hundreds of routes, as long as you like hills :). Care at Barley is nice and so are the waitresses 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I can send you some Garmin loops later. What mileage and hilliness?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

have an OS map forest of bowland — no gadgets– mileage 50 – 80 day–don’t mind shorter ones– was just going to use the map, but thought there is much more knowledge/advice on here– hilliness don’t bother me, just twiddle away– but like to keep off busy main roads– no fun ..

rudebwoy
    Free Member

got to say , what a great area for cycling– didn,t feel pressured by any motorists–there are many cyclists round those parts, shows what happens when cycling is seen as a normal activity. Rode a few of the climbs, nick o pendle-steep but relativly short, trough o bowland same , cross of greet was a more satisfying climb, some great lanes and scenery tp match!

crikey
    Free Member

For a bigger loop, go Padiham, Burnley, Nelson, Colne then over the moors towards Howarth, then turn right at Stanbury up reservoir road and drop into Oxenhope, then right and over to Hebden Bridge, then to Todmorden, then right again through Cliviger back to Burnley, Padiham, Sabden and Clitheroe.

DavidB
    Free Member

I rode a cracker for this you could buy the book and save me from poverty ..or just download the GPX routes for free and my kids will starve. The route ticks most of the local classic climbs..and really is a bugger.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

thanks for that dave– will put your book on my xmas list– one of the great things s to make your own ‘routes’– preferably away from busy roads- that capture the soul of an area….topography stylee.. 🙂

wilson5spot
    Free Member

Try Waddy Fell, Trough of Bowland then hang a left towards Scorton then left again for Chipping & Longridge. Or alternatively head towards Bolton by Bowland, Long Preston, Kirby Malham hang a left to Settle & then head home.

ransos
    Free Member

I rode the Le Terrier Sportive last month. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/323885398

Not a single traffic light on the entire route!

davetrave
    Free Member

Cafes – Cobbled Corner in Chipping and The Priory in Scorton. Both exceedingly cycle friendly – generally crammed full of old boys on their skinny steel frames they’ve had forever but who can still knock spots of youngsters on superlight carbon racing frames…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mmm The Cobbled Corner is okay but grumpy at times and the Priory isn’t really a cyclist cafe any more (long story…) – you’re better off in The Barn over the road.

The cafe in Waddie is good, as is Dunsop bridge, Wray, Abbey and Bendicts in Whalley…

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Head to the local cafes
    Country Kitchen waddington or the Old vicarage at Tosside or the tea rooms Bolton By bowland. Find them and you will have found some good routes to get there

rudebwoy
    Free Member

not a cafe as such but fine coffee and cake to be had in the green Jersey cycle shop in clitheroe– by football ground , even open sunday 10 til 2 –ate in dunsop bridge,pricey but good, also in clapham, next to the outdoor shop– decent cafe. Also re affirm the country kitchen comes recommended– but the old guy i met in slaidburn with his flask and cake had it right really…..

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Waddy fell, over cross o greet–clapham, settle and back via sawley, alternative to waddy fell is going over via grindleton, down to slaidburn, all good round that way though !

grum
    Free Member

Love it round there – got married in Slaidburn a couple of weeks ago. Decent cafe and pub in the village.

I’ve done Le Terrier as well but only the 45 mile route. The climb up from Quernmore past Jubilee tower is a killer.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve done Le Terrier as well but only the 45 mile route. The climb up from Quernmore past Jubilee tower is a killer.

Jubilee Tower is merely an amuse bouche to get the blood circulating. Try Roeburndale with 90+ miles in your legs! Jeffrey Hill, Bowland Knotts and the Cross O’ Greet are also tests.

grum
    Free Member

I found Cross O’ Greet fairly straightforward but Roeburndale is brutal at the best of times let alone after 90 very hilly miles. Not sure if I’ve done the others.

Most of Jubilee tower is fine but there’s a very steep hairpin that always seems to take it out of me.

davetrave
    Free Member

mmm The Cobbled Corner is okay but grumpy at times and the Priory isn’t really a cyclist cafe any more (long story…) – you’re better off in The Barn over the road.

Hmm, moved away from Preston a few years ago so not really ridden that way for a while, sad to hear…

Jeffrey Hill

Go up then come back down and see what speed you can hit – had 80kph down there in the past, just remember to leave plenty of time for braking to shed all that speed before you hit the left hander at the bottom…

ransos
    Free Member

I found Cross O’ Greet fairly straightforward but Roeburndale is brutal at the best of times let alone after 90 very hilly miles. Not sure if I’ve done the others.

I found Cross O’Greet much easier from the Bentham side than from Slaidburn, for some reason. Bowland Knotts goes out of Stocks reservoir (by the Gisburn forest mtb circuit) and straight up over the big hill in front of you. There’s a terrific view of the Yorkshire Dales from the top.

twinklydave

Many many routes of various lengths recorded on me Strava wotsit.

You’re never too far away from a decent cake/brew stop round there 🙂

(Or somewhere to burn off said cake grovelling up a hill)

flashpaul
    Free Member

Up to Settle and then on to Ribblehead viaduct , great views on a clear day

Think you come back to Settle on the same road though.

fizzer
    Free Member

Went out by the Knotts and back by the Cross last night. Not many views 🙁

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘forest of bowland.. roadie routes …’ is closed to new replies.