Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Forest of Bowland?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is it good? Never been there, looks like a large expanse of no people on the map, which is usually a good sign.

I ask as my folks are thinking of moving to Morecombe for their retirement, so I imagine there’ll be a few trips in that direction.
    Its got to be better than Wakefield anyway…

IamSam
    Free Member

Not a great deal of riding to be honest, South lakes is as close nearly from Morecambe and loads loads better.

Queeny, duke of Lancaster, owns most of the bowlands so its been turned over to grouse shooting on the tops. Theres a decent route out the back of dunsop bridge. big day out over salter fell, and of course gisburn forest.

I live in Lancaster but mostly ride in the south lakes if that means out 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s a shame.
    Still, they’re considering Kendal instead so I’ll try and persuade them to move there instead!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

It’s all grouse moor as he said, but there is some very cheeky stuff that’s not bad around Parlick and Fairsnape, at the South of the area. As he said though, Lakes is easier to get to than Bowland from Morcambe area.
    With that choice, you’ll end up in the Lakes 9 times out of 10.

vondally
    Free Member

as above salter fell, and above dunsop is a big moorland day out, be careful straying lots of peat bogs amd water collection areas, at times can just be a push fest.

Some bridlepaths and some cheeky parts,longride fell,chipping area, whalley nab not a lot though, but if you combine with gisburn a good day out can be had.

great and beautiful road rides though CAT 1 tour of Britian climbs at waddington through the trough and Pendle hill,

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I live and ride in the FoB, never have any shortage of rides, on and off road. South Lakes is great, little gems like Farleton Knott are brilliant, but the quality of riding I have on my doorstep is fantastic.

crazy-legs

Bowland requires a little bit of thought and the preparation for a bit of an epic sometimes. Less network of trails than somewhere like South Lakes but what there is is excellent. They do come down very heavily on trespassing though, most of it is owned by Prince Charles (or someone…) and is strictly private. Cheeky trails are not encouraged!

Road riding out that way is excellent, if a tad brutal in places.

crispo
    Free Member

As mentioned above, there is some really nice riding, you just need to know where to look for it.

It does tend to get very wet though which can turn a lot of rides into a bit of a slog.

There’s a fair few of us from around there on here so at least can give you a bit of guidance on routes.

On another note, at the moment and for the coming years Morecambe is a right pain traffic wise. Lancaster regularly completely grid locks. There’s two big jobs goin on around there for the coming 2.5 years so will be bad. Hopefully the traffic should get a lot better once it’s done though!

vondally
    Free Member

agree with last two post, cheeky stuff well most of longride fell is cheeky as well as waddington/wallop and grindleton, all areas on duchy land agree no cheekiness……thought it was Queenies not Charlies though?

Trampus
    Free Member

It’s the Duke of Westminster and United Utilities that own most of it. Can be a bit damp at times!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Kendal is much nicer than Morecambe
    Lancaster is much nicer than Morecambe

ransos
    Free Member

The road riding and fell walking there is brilliant. MTBing requires good local knowledge and some discretion. Bear in mind you’re not far from the Yorkshire Dales, and there’s Gisburn forest.

plumber
    Free Member

As mentioned – good for road riding, I can’t think of a single MTB ride I’ve done there that I’d want to repeat other than Boggies Ribchester ride

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Bowland?’ is closed to new replies.