Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Foreign bike shops on ebay
  • minzo
    Free Member

Anyone bought anything from foreign shops through ebay, there seems to be some bargains to be had, even taking postage into account! Does anyone know of any disadvantages to doing this, will it effect warranty etc?

d45yth
    Free Member

You’ve got to watch you don’t get stung with import tax though!
    Anything you think you might have problems with too, buy here. You’re supposed to buy things that have come through th UK distributors. I know a few folk who were going to go and buy carbon frames abroad, no thanks…If you damage it or the frame cracks, good luck with that!
    I bought some Chris King stuff from the U.S. that I couldn’t get over here at the time. After the postage, insurance and tax (you’re taxed on the postage and insurance too.), it would’ve been cheaper over here!

minzo
    Free Member

Ok, so if I buy forks for £500 from overseas, about how much tax would I have to pay and is there a chance of getting them without having to pay tax

uplink
    Free Member

Ok, so if I buy forks for £500 from overseas, about how much tax would I have to pay and is there a chance of getting them without having to pay tax

Depends who you buy them off

I take it you mean outside of the EU?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve bought 2 sets of Formula R1s from France with no issues.
    Also, a few bits, including two carbon handlebars from Hong Kong, again no issues.
    Only time I got stung was a CK rear hub from US, import duty and VAT.

minzo
    Free Member

I was thinking of buying forks from a bike shop in Israel from ebay, would there be a godd chance of having to pay on these as they are quite a big item?

binners

I’ve bought all sorts including two frames from bike shops in hong kong and the states. They’re savvy enough to mark them as used or gifts. So you have to be unlicky to get clobbered for duty. When the exchange rate was at it’s daftest, some stuff was coming in under half the retail price over here. So even with tax you were on a winner

Travis

I live in China, unless I’m in HK I buy from Flyingball, otherwise all my stuff comes from Wiggle + CRC.
    Apart from inner tubes.
    Just too much fake stuff here to actually know what you are buying.

Whats wrong with the LBS? At least they can help you if it goes wrong.

FYI, my LBS is crap, they’ve had my RP shock in for over 3 months for a service.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Foreign bike shops on ebay’ is closed to new replies.