Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ford transit gearbox issue
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Got a 2005 Ford transit. Think I’ve a small problem with perhaps the gear selector. When in third, and usually on roundabouts or rough roads the van seems to fall out of gear – it disengages and I need to press the clutch and use the gear stick to put it back in gear – otherwise there’s no drive and a lit of grinding noise!

What’s wrong?

project
    Free Member

sounds like the selector spring has snapped on the gate.

eg the spring that holds the gear stick in the correct place in the selector plate, also be aware you can go from one gear into reverse by accident and this causes a serious lack of control, and a bent and twisted drive line shaft through the gearbox, did that on a company van once by accident. expensive.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

That makes sense – an easy fix ?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If you accelerate hard then take your foot off does it drop out of gear then? Dropping out of gear is usually a worn synchro.

project
    Free Member

Switch engine off with van in gear and see if you can nudge it out of gear, usually it will stick in gear until the clutch is pressed.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Away from the van over Xmas so will try those after I get back. Only happens in third and very occasionally first

grantway
    Free Member

Constant Issue with Ford, being they used plastic selectors
    unsure if there used now mind.

cbike
    Free Member

Yep concur with plastic selector failure. 30 min fix if you know what you are doing. Transit forum will have advice.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Cool – I’ve no idea what I’m doing but may purchase a Haynes manual…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tom save your dosh. Get on the forums and youtube..

Haynes not worth the paper they are printed on these days.

andrewh
    Free Member

I did a complete selector rebuild last Jan when mine jammed in first and second, wouldn’t give me anything else.
    Took 6hrs, I am a complete novice, not really done much more than change the oil before. Full instructions on how to do it, complete with pictures taken at every step, over on the transit forum. Nothing about selectors in the Haynes book.
    If your problem is just the plastic bits on the top you don’t even have to take the selector off the gear box, should be much quicker than my full rebuild.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Get on the forums and youtube..

Haynes not worth the paper they are printed on these days.

I’d tend to disagree with that. Haynes always been very helpful for me, whereas all the Ford/ Citroen/ Vauhall/ Subaru forums I’ve used have been literally useless. Maybe I’m doing it wrong…

Hope you get it fixed Tommy.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Bit worried about ‘fixing’ the wrong thing, as it seems there could be a couple of things it could be… Might just take it to a garage?? I’ve really no idea about these things!

andrewh
    Free Member

Fortunateson, I have the Haynes book and it’s not in there, Transit forum is the place to go. http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=111349this Full selector rebuild here, complete with step by step pics. (you will need to create a log in to view it) Looks a little daunting but I managed it fine and I’m a novice so it can’t be that difficult. Adjusting the selector cables is in the Haynes book.
    That thread is about fixing one which is stuck in gear but I think it may help with your issue too. Even if it doesn’t servicing your selector is a very good idea, there is a wee bolt which is prone to coming off and dropping into the gearbox, and it’s nice to check it’s tight!

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Thanks, will take a look!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ford transit gearbox issue’ is closed to new replies.