Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ford S Max, Load Area
  • wombat

Does anyone on here have 2/3/4/5 year old S Max?

If so, roughly how long is the boot area with both rows of seats folded and how tall the boot opening?

I’m pondering changing my current car for an S Max and would like to be able to put my bike inside vertically without removing the wheels.

I ideally need a load area that’s about 1800mm long and 1100 high.

With bikes inside there’d only be 1 or 2 passengers so folding away the rear seats wouldn’t be an issue.

Google only wants to tell me total volume, not actual dimensions and none of the 3 Ford dealers near to where I live has one as a demonstrator.

docrobster
    Free Member

Long enough and high enough to swallow 2 bikes on their sides with wheels on etc
    Mine is 59 plate. They won’t have got smaller

Harry_the_Spider

Just been outside with a tape measure. It was cold, wet and dark, so the measurements are a bit +/-.

2006-2010 model
    Length 1800mm
    Height 900mm, dropping to 820mm at the opening.

My bike is always complete and on its side. Had 3 people with 3 bikes in easily, but it was wheels and posts out.

danbo
    Free Member

You wont get one in upright, but as mentioned 2 will go in on their sides easily.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I get bikes vertically in with front wheel removed and seats down on the dropper post.

docrobster
    Free Member
    belugabob
    Free Member

I have a towbar bike carrier on mine (2014 model), so never tried a complete bike upright, but takes a bike in a bike bag behind first row of seats or lengthways with one second row seat folded down.
    It swallows an awesome amount of camping gear, too, with one second row seat still folded up, for the dog’s exclusive use.
    Really nice vehicle – being based on the same floor plan as the Mondeo, it drives more like a car than an MPV.

Harry_the_Spider

I like mine. When / if it dies (78k / 7 years old without missing a beat) I’ll have another, or perhaps a Galaxy if my lad still gets relegated to the back seat when he’s fully grown.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Here’s a shot of two medium long travel 29ers mounted vertically. Could get 3 maybe 4 at a squeeze. Front wheels off and seats down on the droppers.

I’ve got an internal rack that attaches to the rear of backs of the middle row of seats. I’ll tend to use this when i’m going on a long journey or leaving the bikes in the car overnight. Normally I just use 591’s on the roof.

wombat

Thanks for the replies folks.
    I had a feeling that height might be an issue (although I hadn’t realised how tall my bike was until I went and measured it).
    I currently use a towbar mounted rack if there’s a few bikes to transport but like to stick them inside if there’s only one or two of them.
    @wobliscot, that internal rack looks rather smart

takisawa2

Old Galaxy/Alhambra/Sharran could as floor was flat & seats come out, new ones they all fold so not quite as tall.

olly2097
    Free Member

Grand tourneo connect. Not as pretty but you can stand a bike up in it.

matt_outandabout

Our MK3 Galaxy is way long enough to get a bike in (over 7 feet long). However the dip of boot opening. Combined with ceiling mounted storage and roof blinds means I cannot get bikes in upright with wheels on.
    Although this newer model has more space, and convenience of folding seats, it is not as tall.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ford S Max, Load Area’ is closed to new replies.