Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ford Mundeo estate help please.
  • swisstony
    Free Member

I’ve nearly convinced my wife that it’s better to spend £5k on an 06 Mondeo rather than 01 Audi (though it has been a tough decision for me to make too!)

I’m a bit bamboozled by the choice of models and was wondering if there were any “better” models to go for. I suppose i’m looking for it all in that i want something with a bit of power, so close to 150bhp but also good fuel economy and as many extra’s as possible.

cheers

Simon

AB
    Free Member

2.0 TDCI Zetec is the one you want

AB
    Free Member

Titanium/Titanium X/ST-TDCI are even better, but more costly.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ford Mundane-o ?

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks, there’s plenty of those about, do you own one, are they a good car?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

The Audi.

jam-bo

Get the ST if you can find one

sv

My TDCI cracked it’s cyliner head and the clutches are about £1000 to replace. I’m getting a Passat!

Speshpaul

Titanium- hi spec sportie
    Ghia- Hi spec gentleman driver.

A Ti or Ghia with an X after it is even higher spec.

the 130ps 2l TDci is a very good balance between good mpg and being fast enough on the road. I came to this engine from a V6 petrol, and yes the V6 is quicker, if you just want to go quick and loose your license. But on the road in real driving / overtaking situations the 2l Tdci is does everything quick and safe enough.
    Plus mine is doing 50.6 mpg, day in day out (which is a “bit” better than the V6.)
    I have a 2l 130ps TDci Ghia X hatch, full leather, heated/cooled electic seats, climate, Sony 6 disc changer with ipod connection, heated front and rear screens, 6 speed, etc etc etc.
    It will comfortably seat 5 adults, and 2 large FS bikes with the wheels out in the boot. Plus kit.

There is also a 2.2 Tdci in either the Ghia X or ST Tdci models.
    150ps 265 pounds torque.
    But you won’t find much tidy for £6k.

I might still have a brochure i could scan the specs for you. Drop me a line if you want them. (will be tomorrow)

Cheers
    paul

racing_ralph
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – Member

Ford Mundane-o ?

Surely simon you are the ford mondeo of stw

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks for the info Paul, i’ll look into those,

the main plus point that’s swayed me is the fuel ecomomy, it seems to be nearly double other 2 litre estates.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Most modern diesels have a dual mass flywheel clutch assembly that will set you back at least a grand to change. I believe that audi’s can now get a standard clutch kit for the 4 pot when the Dual-Mass lets go. Mundano is much bigger than a A4 and just as reliable. My next car will be a 2.0L petrol mondeo, just have to go steady on the gas pedal!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My 130 BHP LX TDCi is all I need.

Brill MPG on the motorway (which is where we spend out time together) good fun on Scottish A roads, cheap to service, reliable etc etc.

Mine has 125,000 on the clock (54 plate) never missed a beat. Still on original clutch and dual mass flywheel and rear sub-frame bushes, all Mondeo weak points.

DMF’s go anything from 40k to 80k generally in cars thrashed through gears / taxi’s etc as do clutches due to the high first gear probably.

My mate had a petrol one with 18″ alloys maybe 17″ on his Zetec-S but it was not a comfortable car to be in because of the wheels.

If you want to spend its life on A roads flinging it about get a Zetec Zetec S (rare) or ST. For a more comfortable but still excellent handling, get an LX. It has enough toys to keep most happy.

130BHP is the one to get. avoid the 115. after 54plate gets a nicer center console and the stereo the mondeo should have had instead of one out a transit.

I average 56mpg generally but I do drive slow, mainly because its my car I’d be wrecking and I HATE giving my money to Gordon Brown in the form of fuel duty and speeding fines.

mildred

I’ve had my 53 plate Zetec tdci for about 6 weeks now. 130bp model.

I didn’t particularly want a Mondeo, but rather a V70, which I drive every day at work. However, given the price difference for equivalent models, and knowing how expensive Volvo’s are to service and maintain, the Mondeo seemed the sensible option.

So far, I love it – very comfy, quiet, huge load capacity, good spec’, and I think economical at 45mpg (a lot of city stop/start driving). The cabin feels very well put together – certainly as good as my in-laws Passat, and all in all very pleasant to drive.

It’s a lovely torquey engine, and feels very refined for a diesel. Plenty of power – particularly mid-range, and unlike many diesels I’ve driven it doesn’t deliver the power in one big lump.

swisstony
    Free Member

right i’ve been on autotrader and ebay and theres a few local so i’ll check them out tomorrow.

I’ve just come back from the shops and the brakes went on my V40, got home to find brake fluid all over the rear wheel, took the wheel off and the pipe had corroded through so i’ll have to fix that tomorrow morning before i try and trade it in! it’s been a great car in general but it’s time for a new one.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

2.0l TDCi is the best….but the 2.2 has more power but the gear box is from the 2.0 so it doesnt put it down as well as you would think…
    make sure it has 6 gears :p

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

oh…itll hit 140mph too…

Kit
    Free Member

Well **** me sideways “50.6mpg” and “56mpg” !!

I have an 03 2.0l 130PS TDCi estate and the very best I’ve managed in the 2.5yrs of ownership is 47mpg. Recently I’ve been driving to Aberdeen from Edinburgh, which is basically sitting at 75mph on the A90 for almost 2hrs, and I get close to 45mpg.

I have the basic LX version, and yeah nothing special inside but it works and it gets used for biking lots (so why get a cream leather interior a la the Ghia’s?) so unless you’re a snob, I’d stick with the basic version and pocket the rest of your cash, or get a better make of car.

Speshpaul

” which is basically sitting at 75mph on the A90 for almost 2hrs, and I get close to 45mpg.”
    The turbo cuts in at 1900ish rpm which around the late 70’s in 6 gear.
    So theres a big gap in mpg between say 74 and 79.

So just set the cruise control to 74, oh sorry you haven’t got cruise have you on a LX:-)
    And you know those really cold wet winter rides when your a#re get really cold. Well when you get back to the car you can always turn on your heated tan leather seats. Oh sorry you haven’t ……………

I’ll go now:-)

sv

45mpg – 115hp 2.0l. Sorry they cylinder head thing put me right of!

white101

I have an o8 new stylee edge mondeo estate (edge is the base model) its a 125psi 1.8 tdci and I can get 50mpg for round he doors and 55-60 on long runs. Cruise control as standard. Got it last August and have done 24k faultless miles.

If your buying just for lugging bikes and family then it does fit the bill. Check serving costs on an Audi against the ford, (mines company so I dont have to consider the costs)

2ns hand motors seem to be holding there prices but I reckon you should still get a good model from a dealer for 5-6k

Kit
    Free Member

I’ll go now:-)

Cruise control is fine if you just want to sleep your way to your destination, and do you get your arse felt by virgins too in your heated seats?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have one and I would recommend them. I can’t fault mine and it’s 7 years old and 135k now (diesel 2.0l tdci), I’ve had it for 4 years. I’ve had zero problems other than the usual wear on tyres, exhaust and minor bits. The only niggles are a few rattles from the boot lid/rear seat latches at the back (sorted with electric tape) and the fuel gauge is a tad hit ‘n’ miss at times (but that’s very minor, I’ve never run out of fuel), just a few minor niggles. It’s very cheap on spares and everything else. The only downside is the obvious, resale value and your sex appeal.

Speshpaul

“and do you get your arse felt by virgins too in your heated seats? “

Yeap.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ford Mundeo estate help please.’ is closed to new replies.