Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Ford locking wheel nuts "stuck on"
  • johni
    Free Member

I took my still under warranty Ford Mondeo in for a service today. The garage just called to say that all 4 locking wheel nuts cannot be removed using the locking wheelnut tool or their master key. They appear to have bonded to the wheel.

The last time they were removed was by another Ford garage for my last service (12 months ago). The mechanic said he would speak to Ford to see if they would pay for it under warranty, but that as I hadn't owned the car from new (Bought 6 months old- UK car though), "they might use that against me".

I told him I've owned loads of Fords before and never had a problem so I'd expect the same this time.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking that this isn't my problem? Sounds like the other Ford garage over torqued the wheelnuts at the last service and they've stuck.

Any one had any similar experiences? I can advise them on cutting out a bonded seatpost but not locking wheelnuts. 🙂

anc
    Free Member

If its still under warranty it doesn't matter who bought it first. Don't let them fob you off.

Cougar

You're absolutely right, the problem is proving it.

I had exactly the same with a Mondeo (company car). Took it to Quick-Fit who rounded off the nut adapter and then came back to me going "it's broke, that, sorry mate." I know categorically that it's their fault, because a) they're the only people ever to have removed wheels other than me, and b) the adapter was perfectly fine when I changed a different wheel on it two days previously.

I rang the lease company, they basically said that whilst it's obvious where the fault lay, it's more trouble than it's worth to them to persue Quick-Fit and try and prove liability. They (leasing co) stumped up for the repair without quibble.

So, yeah. I'd say it's absolutely not your problem and the Ford garage should be dealing with it, however you might struggle getting them to admit that. What might be in your favour is it's all four; you could argue from the state of the tyres that it's highly unlikely you've removed all four wheels since they last had it. You never know, you might get a 'gesture of goodwill' out of them.

Are you looking for a warranty claim, or are you looking for them to fix something they broke?

Good luck.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Thinking about it, it's all Ford isn't it. I think I'd be taking the stance of "well, you're the only ones ever to have worked on it, so sort it out, I don't care how."

johni
    Free Member

They claim that "trim" is not under warranty after 12 months.

Ford have offered to pay 50% of the cost of removing and replacing (£173!!!)

If they damage the wheels I have to foot all of that myself!

MrNutt
    Free Member

erm, I'd tell them "you must have done it whilst trying to take the wheels off, did your spanner monkey have it set on rightytighty not leftyloosey?" followed by "you've **** my car, this is your problem, fix it or I expect a replacement immediately!"

anc
    Free Member

Its actually quite common for locking wheel nuts to seize on, think its probably because they are fitted later than the wheel nuts and probably don't get anti seize re-applied.

johni
    Free Member

If I say it is the mechanics fault, Ford don't contribute at all and I have to chase the previous dealer (not the one servicing the car).

W@nkers!

andytherocketeer

Ouch. Friend of mine got a puncture on Ford Focus the other day, and it turned out that the locking nut or the key, or both were fubared, so couldn't change wheel. No AA cover, no nothing, so that would have been £190 call out. Local garage said to use a can of tyre stuff, bring it round, and "they'll take a look". Will have to find out what they did to get it sorted, but it was almost certainly either pants design and/or caused by the previous Ford dealer during routine service.

sundaywobbler

A simple repair, had to help a mate out on a Ford Galaxy the other day and he didn't even have the socket to undo them…

Just fire up the welder and weld a nut to the end of the locking wheelnut, fit socket and undo wheel nut, hey presto it came undone. Would suggest they've been lazy got the airgun on it and rounded it all off but proving that may be difficult…

Any profficient garge should be able to get them off in a matter of minutes, even if they are goosed.

Not your fault they messed them up though, they managed to get the other wheelnuts off safely and easily why not the locking ones…

Cougar

I have to chase the previous dealer

Any reason why you haven't? Or given that they're both Ford, any reason they haven't?

How long have wheels been 'trim'? How far would you get with the trim removed?

johni
    Free Member

I will, but they will probably just say it's a year since the last service, the wheels might have been removed since then and there is a known problem with the nuts bonding. Ford Customer Service only look after the manufacturing bit. Dealers and servicing are completely separate companies that just happen to have a Ford badge outside.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Just for a moment consider the fact that maybe the vehicle had a puncture before you got it. Maybe the 'greasemonkey' fitted it with a windy gun and overtightened it in conjunction with not putting anthing to stop siezing. Now a time later it has 'bonded' to the point where the nut cant be undone by the ford garage. Why should they pay the £173 for someone elses balls up? Also, why should they pay for even another Ford Garages balls up? Garages, even though they are big business's are usually independents of some form or other. Just because one has ballsed up doesnt mean another should cover it unless its a warranty item which a wheel bolt siezing isnt.

kevin1911

A call to Ford UK customer service might be a good idea. Take no crap. If it's only been serviced by Ford dealers, and no one else has touched the bolts, it's up to Ford to sort it out completely.

Cougar

the wheels might have been removed since then

All four? Not very likely, I'd have thought.

and there is a known problem with the nuts bonding

That'd be a warranty issue, then, surely.

Also – what Kevin said. (-:

johni
    Free Member

The Littlest Hobo, The wheels were taken off as part of the last service I had with a Ford garage. They have not been removed since. The servicing dealers are both Ford garages but independents and I agree the current garage shouldn't be paying to fix it as they didn't do it. How on earth a wheel nut is trim though I will never know. It's a bit like saying a QR skewer is on a bike. Try riding without one!

johni
    Free Member

It is a warranty issue, but "trim" is only covered for 12 months not 3 years. Car is 2.5years old now.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Didnt read the part about the The wheels were taken off as part of the last service I had with a Ford garage. Sorry.

I think its down to that garage then. If they havent got the sense to put the wheels back on properly then kick their ass. Just a quick question. They are the correct bolts for the wheel type. Ie alloy wheels need alloy wheel bolts

johni
    Free Member

Yes, correct bolts just defective. I'll chase the previous servicing dealer but don't hold out much hope….

bigyinn
    Free Member

Get an impact socket and batter it onto the locking wheelnut and try and undo it. There are sets in Halfords for exactly this sort of thing IIRC.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Ford locking wheel nuts "stuck on"’ is closed to new replies.