Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ford locking wheel nuts keys.
  • zippykona

Are they all the same? Ford want £54 for one. Are there good pattern ones? Surely a Snap On one would be cheaper

Edit. Do they deter thieves? I’m tempted to stick normal bolts on to make my life easier when changing a wheel in the rain.

craigxxl
    Free Member

They are manufactured by Mcgard and you can get replacement sockets from them if you have the code. If not cheaper from Ford Parts UK

No locking wheel nut is 100% but it will slow down a scrote long enough that they’ll look for an easier target and they are much cheaper than new wheels and tyres

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Edit. Do they deter thieves? I’m tempted to stick normal bolts on to make my life easier when changing a wheel in the rain.

I can’t imagine s/h wheels are worth enough to make it a worthwhile thing to go round car parks looking for unsecured ones? Bit like immunization, if 99% of cars have them, yours wont get nicked anyway. The one’s on the MG are just plain nuts and are probably worth quite a bit more than the alloys on the main car.

Same as I’ve left my car unlocked through forgetfulness and even in dodgy areas no one’s ever nicked stuff just left on the seat.

theotherjonv

I was driving on the continent and got a flat. Not a good time to find out the socketwas still at the garage after the last service.

The man from the French AA got a standard wheel brace (the four cross type with different socket sizes on) and a big mallet and cold forged a hexagon head into the lwn in about 3 blows.

craigxxl
    Free Member

The man from the French AA got a standard wheel brace (the four cross type with different socket sizes on) and a big mallet and cold forged a hexagon head into the lwn in about 3 blows.

Doesn’t work the McGard ones as the outer sleeve spins and due to it being wider limits the space around it so you would end up damaging the wheel. Those universal sockets with the retracting pins work though.

GrahamS

Don’t worry because all the normal Ford wheel nuts will shed a chromed outer cover when you try to undo them, leaving behind a nut head that is now too small for the supplied socket.

Then the AA guy will come out with a variety of different tools and manage to snap a socket trying to get the wheel nuts undone with a 3 foot tyre iron.

In my experience.

zippykona

Can anyone recommend some quality nuts with a decent locking system so I can replace them all?

Suggsey
    Free Member

My advice is keep your locking wheel nuts, try explaining to the insurance when you have to claim for your van being left sat on its chassis rails with no wheels……ideal get out clause for them not to pay out as it’s an adaption from standard vehicle.
    Sorry can’t recommend any specific replacements.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I bought McGard 24157SL for my Focus, £42, and have been happy with them. They have the spinning outer as described above.

zippykona

On a trip to the Ford garage I have found out that each locking pattern is different. Even if I bought a new key and matching nuts I still can’t get my wheels off.
    Can I give Ford my chassis number and get a new one made?
    If not,how can I get them off? It seems a totally poxy idea. The nuts and keys are far too shallow to take any meaningful torque.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The nuts and keys are far too shallow to take any meaningful torque.

Well, they obviously do?

craigxxl
    Free Member

If not,how can I get them off? It seems a totally poxy idea. The nuts and keys are far too shallow to take any meaningful torque.

Never managed to break the key when torqued correctly. Garage have with an air gun hence why they must be done by hand.

Very odd that you have four different patterns. Just go to Ford buy a new set and get them to remove and fit the new ones.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Kwik fit did a set of mine up with an air gun and the dealer then stripped three keys before having to drill/smash them off. They’re a PITA if they go wrong.

Milkie
    Free Member

Don’t worry because all the normal Ford wheel nuts will shed a chromed outer cover when you try to undo them, leaving behind a nut head that is now too small for the supplied socket.

So True! Just had to replace all the wheelnuts and had the exact same thought about locking wheel nuts… Do I need them? Nope.. But they are in my hand and I’ll be pissed off if someone did still the wheels.

trail_rat
    Free Member

like many things

They’re a PITA if they go wrong. used wrong

nealglover
    Free Member

Seems to me that nobody steals wheels anymore.

Haven’t heard of anyone having wheels nicked for years!

zippykona

Booked in at ford. Will be close to a ton to sort it.
    I still maintain the design is flawed. There can only be a 2mm surface interference on something that is going to be subjected to a zip gun.

nealglover
    Free Member

I still maintain the design is flawed. There can only be a 2mm surface interference on something that is going to be subjected to a zip gun.

A ham fisted mechanic using the wrong tool for the job does not make the design flawed.

If use a hammer to change the battery in my watch, it’s my fault when it breaks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Lazy shits using zip guns. Wrong tool for job. Bit like tightening your stem handlebar clamp bolts with a zip gun really.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ford locking wheel nuts keys.’ is closed to new replies.