Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Ford Ka, heavy steering
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

My girlfriends Ka has all of a sudden developed heavy steering. Tire pressure seems OK. Is there anything else easy to check? Presumably they have power steering?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hydraulic fluid low in the steering pump? If it’s a Ford, the vital stuff under the bonnet that needs filling/checking should be yellow.

If it’s a sudden thing then I guess the power steering pump is kaput.

andyl
    Free Member

if not the pump then maybe some sort of regulator or something. Check the fluid though, might be all gone.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Will have a look tonight. If its low, and assuming there aren’t any massive leaks, is it just a case of topping it up?

andyl
    Free Member

You shouldnt really be losing any. Battery light isnt on is it? If it is then aux belt.

johndoh
    Free Member

Is it an original Ka or the new style? The original makes a groaning noise on steering when the hydraulic fluid is low.

And to answer your question, yes.

takisawa2

Give the knuckle joints a spray with grease, they may have gone dry. (Happened on an old Fiesta of mine, albeit not one with power steering).

iolo
    Free Member

Is the belt slipping/come off?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Don’t know about the atl belt, but no reports of any dash lights, so guessing its OK.

Pretty sure its one of the original ones.

Will have a poke round tonight.

Cheers all.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Knowing most females and cars, the engine is probably seized and there’s nothing wrong with the steering.

spooky_b329

If it is heavy at idle and gets lighter when you increase the revs, it’s probably the pump.

Also it can go heavy/notchy with old fluid, if it gets worse after a run its a sure sign the fluid is breaking down.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mk1s have common power steering faults: often pumps or corroded pipes.

chrisylad24
    Free Member

As above check the universal joints at the bottom of the steering column done quite a few over the years symptoms are heavy steering and a reluctance to self centre when going back to the straight ahead position after turning

fourbanger
    Free Member

Top strut mounts. Jack it up and I bet the struts drop an inch.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Ford Ka, heavy steering’ is closed to new replies.