Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • ford focus steering problem
  • petefromearth

got a 53 plate focus which has developed a bit of a problem with the steering

sometimes when going along a straight and then into a bend, the steering feels like there's stiction or resitance as i start to turn the wheel

when going along slowly and turning the wheel left and right i can feel like a 'notch' or a clunk each time it passes the 0° position

it happens in either direction. have checked the tyre pressure which is fine

any ideas what the problem is?

spooky_b329

I'd suggest signing up here and doing a search in the relevant section, you'll probably find its a known fault. I'm sure there was a similar fault that afflicted the Mondeo, lack of lubrication or something.

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums

Marmoset
    Free Member

Sounds like a steering rack wear issue to me. Worth checking out the ball joints on the track rod ends for movement first as this may give a similar sensation at really low speeds.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Might want to check the power steering fluid level. My mums felt a bit odd, turns out fluid was a bit low.

petefromearth

cheers for the replies. no luck on the ffoc, you have to pay to view the good stuff!

i just found this video – sounds exactly what mine's doing!
    http://www.youtube.com/comment_servlet?all_comments&v=ATjdVu1Ff-Q&fromurl=/watch%3Fv%3DATjdVu1Ff-Q

GTDave
    Free Member

There's a topic running on the FFOC at the moment with your exact problem. No definitive answer yet on the cause, other than possible contaminated PAS fluid, or a faulty rack.
    I'll do some more digging over there & see what flags up. 🙂

GTDave
    Free Member

Out of interest, does it still do it when stationary?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Try stdrivers.co.uk

Even if you dont have an ST model, but the problem will be familiar to people on the site. It is also totally free to use. I am sure I have heard this problem come up, but not sure what the solution is.

petefromearth

cheers guys

gtdave – i don't think it does it when stationary (i'll check today)

i've mainly noticed it on country roads, which is the most disconcerting time to be having steering issues!

i also found this link which is actually the same bloke from the above youtube link
    http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/574893-steering-bind-tight-spot-thud-noise.html

in his case it turned out to be the steering rack, but several other people said that it could be a broken spring 😯

Solo
    Free Member

PFE.

You don't mention the mileage of your 53 plate car.

What does your local Ford garage say ?.

S.

petefromearth

the mileage is about 80k and i've had it 3 years. my commute is 30 miles each way and mainly motorway + a bit of country lanes / city. it's a long-ish journey but i liftshare so only average about 10k miles a year

haven't spoken to a garage yet. my local ford garage are cowboys unfortunately (from previous experience) but there's an independent garage i go to for servicing etc

GTDave
    Free Member

As an update from the FFOC forum for you, the chap with the identical problem has replaced the lower arms, drop links and track rod ends.
    Problem remains, so he is now moving on to replace the steering rack.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ford focus steering problem’ is closed to new replies.