Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ford Focus steering issue
  • sambalaws
    Free Member

Evening all not usually one to post car problems on here but thought id give it a go.

I have a 09 focus zetec s 1.8tdci which has a steering issue.

The car will veer to either side of its choosing and can be quite hard to keep in a straight line, this is made worse by any bumps or cats eyse etc i go over.

The car has been tracked which hasnt resolved the issue.

Any ideas or opinions greatly welcomed.

thanks

parkesie
    Free Member

Something suspension or steering wise is properly goosed. Wish bone bushes or ball joints, strut tops, anti roll bar drop links. Rack mounts or ball joints. Get under it and get some one to shake the steering with the engine off.

Also check the rear end.

spooky_b329

Get it on a 4 wheel alignment machine, tracking only measures 1 thing, whether the front wheels are point the same way.

We had a Mondeo that did exactly what you say, and also worn the edges off a new set of rear tyres in just a few months.

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk for places with the kit, prices vary, so ring round and assume you will need two adjustments. Some charge for just checking it, others just charge more per adjustment but the first check is free.

This was my results, you should get a print out too. It drove like a completely different car afterwards 🙂

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Lower ball joints, my van did the same and kept trying to kill me!

BearBack
    Free Member

Don’t be shy to have the rear end checked out. You want to make sure you don’t have a dead bushing in the suspension/steering syetem before spending the cash on a 4 wheel alignment.
    Static alignment wont show worn bushings.. it’ll only correct for them in the stationary state

My symptoms were:
    wander from straight with adjusting road surface
    under left hand cornering car would sway.. any bumps diring left corners would result in continued bounce
    driving through standing water/slush was frightening

Anyway.. i turns out it was a separated busing in the forward lower rear control arm that was the culprit. It was creating constantly variable toe settings on the right rear wheel..

Its an odd beast that swayblade rear setup.

sambalaws
    Free Member

It’s been up on a ramp with all bushes and mechanical bit checked and all seems fine.

As I recall it started after I had the clutch an dual master changed. Could this of affected anything?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

In my experience, diagnosing suspension issues needs the car to be put on a lift that lets the wheels drop AND a drive-on ramp that supports the wheels, as problems aren’t always obvious in one state. So it could still be something worn that just wasn’t obvious when it was checked last.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

From the symptoms I would have also bet on bushes. Maybe get a second opinion? Other than that, assuming your alignment (not tracking) is spot on and in accordance with manufacturers numbers and everything mechanical is OK then i’d look at tyres. I’ve had problems with cheap tyres before especially when they’re a few years old even if they have good depth of tread remaining. Also if your tyres are very worn – they may have worn unevenly so have a tendency to track to one side. Also tyre pressures – if they’re over-inflated then you’re effectively changing the shape and profile of the tyre so its riding on a central ridge, which again might make it have an increased tendency to wander.

finishthat
    Free Member

As I recall it started after I had the clutch an dual master changed. Could this of affected anything?

Yes it could have affected anything that was touched – however I would be getting the steering column/rack inspected – every component inside and outside , and asap – the symptoms you describe do not sound very safe at all.

tightywighty
    Free Member

Is this a common focus issue? I’ve had various suspension problems like this, had most of the rear setup and one damper replaced and it still knocks loudly and doesn’t drive right. It’s been to 3 well regarded garages and passes MOTs with no advisories.

sambalaws
    Free Member

TW that sounds similar to mine, I took it to another garage this morning and again all bushes suspension etc all seem ok. Checked for uneven braking and again all fine.

It’s going in on weds for a check of the steering rack etc, there seems to be a few people who have had similar issues after a few forum searches but no one seems to know what it could be.

The tyres were fitted new when I had the clutch done, il check the pressure but there wearing fine.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Make sure the brakes are not binding on once side too.

spooky_b329

Honestly, if it feels at all like the tail is wagging, get the alignment checked. Some places will do a free check and I don’t think its something they can fluff up to make some cash unless they get the spanners out before the first check!

Mine would need steering correction over manholes, cats eyes and when crossing the camber of the road to overtake. Big bumps would feel like the rear of the car was skipping left or right, and it generally made the handling quite nervous/skittish.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ford Focus steering issue’ is closed to new replies.