Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ford diesel engine trouble
  • itstig

1.8 tdci engine, diesel injector seal is leaking. Doesn’t look like its been blowing for long, will it cause any further issues? Is it as simple as injector out, swap seal, injector back in? Not doing the job myself.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Had the same thing, very common problem on these engines, ford replaced under warranty. How old is your car?

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

Careful not to snap the injector on its way out. That is what gets expensive… Not sure if 1.8 engine needs re-coding after injector swap. The 2.0 pre-2008 did…..

itstig

58 plate 67500ish miles I suppose a lot depends on how heavy handed the mechanics are.

Northwind

<no ignore that, just looked at pics, your engine is pretty different to mind>

benji
    Free Member

It is actually that simple, the only other thing you need to do is remove the carbon that would have built up on the injector seat from where it has blown through. It’s not unusual and doesn’t usually require a new injector.

ekul
    Free Member

The seals went on my 1.6 TDCI a couple of years ago. Took it to the local garage who charged me £30 to replace all 4. So I assume its not the biggest of jobs. Not sure about the 1.8 but he did say sometimes they can be tricky to get to, but on mine he said it was literally pop the engine cover off and they were right in front of him. Took him about 45 mins.

unovolo
    Free Member

Had the same on my 1.8TDCI Cmax, was no 3 injector.
    Had the black sludge of death.
    I did it myself with new seals off ebay,they were around about £10 for what is basically 4 x thick copper washers.

Warmed the engine up to get everything expanded and make the black tar substance more pliable.

Removed the offending Injector and cleaned it and the bore up with some solvent.
    Fit new seal to injector, refit and torque to spec.
    Job done, took about 1hour all in, no recoding required as you not replacing the injector only the seal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ford diesel engine trouble’ is closed to new replies.