Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ford 1.8tdci engine shaking: Is this normal (video)?
  • couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Im not on any motoring forums so I thought I’d start with you helpful folks!

I’m getting a profound “shaking” when accelerating in second gear. Like an earth tremor kind of thing shaking the van.

It’s fine when idling or at a steady speed. On only thing I notice is that the engine itself moves about a fair bit so I suspect it could be a mount – possibly the one seen in the bottom middle of the screen – but dont wont to start swapping stuff on the offchance.

Anyway – does this look normal? How much movement is too much?

Video is of starting then selecting reverse and first and letting the clutch out to bite point? Skip the first 15 secs

[video]http://vimeo.com/65300875[/video]

bigyinn
    Free Member

Engine mount goosed?

brant
    Free Member

It’s certainly very exciting.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

It’s certainly very exciting.

For that I do apologise!

Thanks bigyinn.

thepurist

Can’t watch the vid but vibration could be a borked DMF. Not uncommon, but not cheap either.

thepurist

Crappy double posting cheapo phone…

I_Ache
    Free Member

I would take a guess at the engine mount too.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Im kind of thinking thats possible but that was done at 80k and it feels fine at idle.

#Edit – the DMF that is. And its done 30k since the new one.

Thanks i_ache.

edlong
    Free Member

If it feels fine at idle (in neutral, clutch out) then it ain’t the DMF.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Engine mount probably dogmount

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks all. New mount ordered and I’ll take it from there.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Vibration when accelerating is a symptom of inner c/v joints worn .

Also check the support bearing on o/s drive shaft , they’re poop and i’ve had to change a few .

Couls still be flywheel though . Focus 1.8’s seem to spit the center bush out the flywheel causing imbalance rather than the classic rattle at idle .

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

double post

spooky_b329

Considering you are going to the bite point and applying torque to the engine, I don’t think that movement is excessive. The engine mounts are rubber and will allow some twisting.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Thanks honkie and spooky.

I’ll check the bearing and c/v joints. I cant believe (or is it hope?) that it would be the flywheel again.

gmex619
    Free Member

Would say a sump gasket is on the cards in the future too..

takisawa2

Engine mount. I had same thing on a Fiesta years ago. At idle was fine but in gear & slowly pulling away it was quiete an eye opener…engine sseemingly climbing out of the engine bay. Try rocking it in gear to see if the engine moves much then.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Would say a sump gasket is on the cards in the future too..

LOL. You should see the top view for oil leaks!

takisawa2 – I’ve ordered and paid for a mount and will try this first. Fingers crossed, but confidence in this being the problem is somewhat shaken (no pun intended).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ford 1.8tdci engine shaking: Is this normal (video)?’ is closed to new replies.