Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Forcing an HP PC to use updated non HP drivers
  • bigjim

My old man has a HP PC from PC World. The mobo died and was replaced by them under an extended warranty thing. However it has come back with graphics glitches which did not happen before, from a quick fiddle it is displaying scrambled icons on Firefox (eg the home etc buttons in top right) and if you scroll a web page in firefox or ie you get frozen sections of page and gobbldegook, some kind of redraw error.

HP have not released a driver for this since 2011, and even by starting in ‘dont enforce driver signing’ or whatever it is called mode I can’t get the latest Intel driver to run due to HP being idiots and not allowing that.

Any way round this without having to send it back again? Its quite a hassle for them to do that. I have an old radeon 5450 which should perform better than the Intel HD on the i3 so could send it to him, but being in his 70s he isn’t massively into installing hardware and drivers.

Cougar

Yeah. The idea is that whilst it’s an Intel graphics adapter it may have been changed / optimised by HP. So, HP’s drivers will have been changed to deal with this, whereas the stock Intel ones won’t and might not work properly.

To be honest though, if they’ve replaced like-for-like and the software on his PC hasn’t changed, that sounds to me like the replacement board is also faulty. I’d be kicking it back from whence it came, I reckon. S.E.P.

bigjim

OK thanks. Yes its odd that the replacement doesn’t work properly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Forcing an HP PC to use updated non HP drivers’ is closed to new replies.