Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Forcing An Election
  • grantway
    Free Member

Is there any way the People can force an election ?
    I dont know but a good place to ask !!

uplink
    Free Member

Short of revolution, I doubt it

Stoner
    Free Member

Pron!

oops, I misread that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why it went so well last time

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Viva la revolution

PJM1974
    Free Member

Even if we could, it wouldn’t make much difference.

I’ll never vote Tory and after the last government I’ll never vote Labour again. I voted Liberal this time round, but they haven’t managed to implement a single policy I support.

The only way forward is to find a means of forcing politicians to listen to public opinion, my own choice would be a public referendum for their remuneration at the end of the five year term.

grantway
    Free Member

I agree with you But never voted Conservative

grantway
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member

I’ll never vote Tory and after the last government I’ll never vote Labour again. I voted Liberal this time round, but they haven’t managed to implement a single policy I support.

The only way forward is to find a means of forcing politicians to listen to public opinion, my own choice would be a public referendum for their remuneration at the end of the five year term.

AGREE with you on this

Oxboy
    Free Member

I’ve never forced an erection but I’ve thumbed in a semi a few times.

😆

Oxboy
    Free Member

bugger just realised I read the thread wrong

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Labour – spending our money
    Tory – not spending our money
    Liberal – Making up policy as they will never actually have to implement it (ah crap how did that happen)

personally having seen the way the public sector works I’d like to see some efficiency in there. Not to pick a few points but 60+p/mile milage rates cant be justified. There are things that can be cut without hurting people. There are some councils cutting front line services for political gain rather than the good of the country.

Like any good party this is the hangover and we have just realised we shagged a fat bird and she having triplets and we are properly f’d and will never be able to afford a new bike.

druidh
    Free Member

PJM1974 – Member

I’ll never vote Tory and after the last government I’ll never vote Labour again. I voted Liberal this time round, but they haven’t managed to implement a single policy I support.Move to Scotland?

aracer
    Free Member

Is there any way the People can force an election ?

A general election, or a by-election? I understand assassination is one way to force the latter.

KonaTC

Short answer NO

Xylene
    Free Member

Coupe de etat

Oxboy
    Free Member

Can you explain to us (or just me) why you want to force an election?

PJM1974
    Free Member

move to Scotland

On behalf of the people of England I hereby welcome our Scottish overlords and overlook the minor issue of Blair and Brown…provided that the current crop of MPs are marched to the Tower and left there so long as her Majesty sees fit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Coupe de etat

I think you’ll find that coupe de etats usually have the complete opposite effect to forcing an election.

A protracted general strike would almost certainly force the government to resign and for a general election to be called.

……are you with me bruv ?

PJM1974
    Free Member

So what would a General Election achieve? Aside from a probably minority Labour government, which is the worst of all scenarios in my book. Sorry, but the very best the Labour rank and file could come up with to explain their poor showing was to blame their immigration policies.

I don’t give two figs about immigration, but I do care about invading Iraq illegally, the erosion of civil liberties and the more or less incessant lying to name but a few issues.

I had hoped that the Liberals could be trusted as this was their first shot at government since 1918.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Bum, double post.

aracer
    Free Member

So what would a General Election achieve?

If we had one right now? Possibly a Labour majority if the collapse of the LibDem vote in areas where they’re competing with Labour was repeated.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Hello my names Guy, I have some gunpowder for sale if your interested…..

PJM1974
    Free Member

So after the last fourteen years a Labour majority is a good thing?

grantway
    Free Member

im a strong Liberal voter and i fail to see anything they have done
    in this coalition and therefore feel the coalition does not exist
    and is typically just Conservatives at work.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yes I share your shocking assessment that almost anything is better than a Tory/LibDem government.

aracer
    Free Member

You asked what it would achieve, not whether such an achievement would be a good thing.

almost anything is better than a Tory/LibDem government.

A Tory majority?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No that isn’t one of the exceptions, nor is a BNP majority. Nor a UKIP one. Imperfect as it might be, I would go for a labour majority. Yes that’s right, even though it’s hard to imagine, that shower of incompetent spineless tossers, are actually better than the Tories.

mrmo
    Free Member

jez, you would think we lived in a democracy, wanting to get rid of our dear leader…what is the world coming to.

Mind you i would support personnel liability for politicians, so if they screw the economy they can’t walk away with vast sums of money made through contacts that are due to their position. Rather they would be expected to declare themselves bankrupt and pay everything they own to the exchequer. IT wouldn’t make much economic difference but it might make them think before they set about trashing things.

Ewan
    Free Member

Am I the only person in the country that thinks, all things considered, the currently mob haven’t cocked things up too bad? Two rounds of redundencys whilst labour were in power, now the company I work for has more bookings than it knows what to do with – same for most of the companies we work for.

Ok, so I don’t agree with everything they’ve done, but they’re undoubtly better than the **** we’ve had in government since 97. At least they’re reducing the defecit. Doubtless they’ll sort the economic things out, get kicked out in the next election, and then labour will come in take all the credit, and then the cycle will repeat.

johnners
    Free Member

Doubtless they’ll sort the economic things out

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Am I the only person in the country that thinks, all things considered, the currently mob haven’t cocked things up too bad?

No but the gaurdian tells most of this lot otherwise

Two rounds of redundencys whilst labour were in power, now the company I work for has more bookings than it knows what to do with – same for most of the companies we work for.

This of course is down to the masterful policies of Comrades Brown & Darling who started the recovery after having nothing to do with the crash

Junkyard
    Free Member

personally having seen the way the public sector works I’d like to see some efficiency in there. Not to pick a few points but 60+p/mile milage rates cant be justified.

HMRC rates are 40 p per mile and is capped [ reduces after a certain mileage] I dont know anywhere that gives more as you are taxed on it. It is also cheaper to get staff to use their own cars than use either taxis, public transport [ time costs] or providing them with cars.
    guide here on actual costs which seems to be about 60 pp per mile depending on mileage
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/running_costs/diesel2011.pdf

There are things that can be cut without hurting people. There are some councils cutting front line services for political gain rather than the good of the country.

Most people vastly overestimate the “waste” in public services. Most spend circa 80% on wages = the rest on fixed costs [ building utilities etc]. It does not take a genius to work out that 20% cuts will affect frontline services. Some things could be cut but this notion that public services are entirely populated by ethnic diversity officers and pen pushing do gooders is just right wing mythology. Every sector [police for example] is cutting staff are they all following a political agenda?

OT not really except for some form of mass action /general strike/revolution.
    a vote of no confidence on the govt in parliamnet leads [ by convention not law] to an election is the only obvious method I can think off

Doubtless they’ll sort the economic things out

You havenot been watching the growth figures going down then which impacts on the defecit as the govt gets less money. the jury is still out on how succesful this will be.
    it is foolish political dogma to blame either labour for the economic crisis [ banking collapse in the sub prime market in USA seems ] or blaiming the Tories for cutting now [ I reject TINA but lets just assume they had too for a moment]. What you can judge each govt on is whether their response made the situation better or worse or whether alternative approaches would have had better results.
    I am not convinced that not spending when everyone is skint is the best approach tbh we are coming out the depression anyway so it iwl improve thei issues is the rate of improvement. i will be very surprised if they reduce the defeit by what they expect due to reduced growth. oddly we may have spent more [cut lees]and be better off.
    We all have political views but we should also be able to see events for what they really are and not just blame govts for events beyond their control

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Two rounds of redundencys whilst labour were in power, now the company I work for has more bookings than it knows what to do with – same for most of the companies we work for.

So you are actually suggesting that there are more jobs about and unemployment goes down when the Tories are in power ? 😯

That’s hilarious …… even the Tories wouldn’t claim that 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Milage Rate 58-65p
    Milage rate 65p
    Like anything there is no one item that can be cut to make the difference but lets start small

Sometimes cutting staff is the answer it really depends if you see the public sector as an employer whos duty it is to keep people in jobs or as an organisation who’s task is delivering services.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wow! Our company mileage rate is 37p for petrol.

Junkyard
    Free Member

cheers for the links but the exception not the rule.
    I suspect [ dont know] the staff threatened to withdraw car use without better payments as the current HMRC rate has been in place for about a decade and some folk think costs of car use has increased in that time esp fuel costs. you get 10 p a mile for using a cycle now that is ridiculous.

Sometimes cutting staff is the answer it really depends if you see the public sector as an employer whos duty it is to keep people in jobs or as an organisation who’s task is delivering services.

I just think it is harder to deliver services with fewer staff which seems a bit of a no brainer tbh.
    efficiency savings only go so far however you wish to spin it 10 people will do less work than 7.
    At least be honest and accept you want a smaller state and that a smaller state will deliver less than a larger state.
    Ps you started off saying they were cutting frontline for political reasons now it is the answer …..which is it?
    It is just right wing rheotirec because you want a smaller state …this is fine but at least articulte your argument consistently and reliabily
    as for really depends if you see the public sector as an employer whos duty it is to keep people in jobs sees a touch early to grossly misrepresent my/counter views.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Milage Rate 58-65p
    Milage rate 65p

Sorry mate, but I’ve got you by the bollox.

From your article :

“SWINDON Council has been criticised for being too generous with the amount of mileage its staff can claim.”

Swindon Borough Council remains under Tory control

Quote : Swindon Borough Council remains under Conservative control despite Labour gaining two seats from the Tories.

“Wiltshire Council, which also pays staff 65p a mile, paid out £3.707m for the year 2009-2010”

Tories take control of new Wiltshire Council – June 2009

Quote : THE Tories swept to a comprehensive victory in the first unitary council elections in Wiltshire.

The party took 62 of the 98 seats available, with the Liberal Democrats trailing in their wake at 24. Independents took seven, a group called the Devizes Guardians won three, but Labour could only manage two.

“The biggest mileage pay-out went to Lancashire Council which paid out out £8,782,399 between 2009-2010”

Lancashire County Council

Quote : The Conservative Party have 51 councillors, versus 17 Labour councillors, 9 Liberal Democrats, three independents and two Green Party councillors.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bows down before ernie funny all weekend now pwning Tories do you do autographs?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hail ernie – scourge of the right.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Thank you TJ & JY……………do you think I can let go of his bollox now ? 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Forcing An Election’ is closed to new replies.