Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Force Awakens – Suitability for Children
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I’m sure this has come up on the Star Wars thread but since I’m supposed to be seeing it tomorrow, I don’t want to look.

Anyway, I’ve booked to see it with my six year old and rather foolishly, already built it up to be a big thing.

Mate of mine has just called to say that I might want to think twice about taking him as he reckons it’s probably not suitable. Seems like quite a few other children from my son’s class are going so either everyone else is potentially making the same mistake or else my mate’s concern while well meant is unfounded.

What’s been the general consensus then? My son’s pretty mature emotionally so I’m a little less worried but not 100% sure. Not taking him tomorrow is going to be a huge blow for him.

nickc

what? there’s absolutely nothing in that film I’d worry about a 6 year old seeing.

BoardinBob

One thing I noticed, and I believe it’s a first for all the SW movies: there’s blood in it. Not a lot, but it’s the first time I can remember blood.

It’s not particularly scary though

paulosoxo
    Free Member

There’s blood in the Empire Strikes Back

CHB

As someone who cried as a 4 year old at the FIRST star wars in 1977, I say take him.
    There are a few semi-violent bits, but nothing excessive.
    The 7 year old brat sat next to me got bored and decided to play with the packet from his popcorn until his father took it off him.
    I thought the film was fantastic.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Na, it’s a 12a for a reason.

nickc

The BBFC reasoning below..

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS is a sci-fi action adventure in which a young woman becomes embroiled in a galactic conflict.

VIOLENCE
    There are frequent scenes of moderate violence, including use of blasters and lightsabers, and dogfights between spaceships. Sight of blood and injury detail is limited and brief.

THREAT
    Occasional scenes of moderate threat include characters being interrogated using ‘the Force’, which it is implied causes them pain, and characters being held at lightsaber-point.

There is infrequent use of very mild bad language (‘hell’, ‘damn’).

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

JJ Abrams spoke about this on radio one a few days ago.
    He said his I think 9 year old has seen it and was fine but every parent should make their own decision.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That was on 5live I think. Simon Mayo thought it should have been a PG especially when compared with Lord of the Rings which was a PG. I’ll be taking my 7 yo daughter, no way she’ll want to miss it if her brother is going.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just watched it with a 6 year old, no problems

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks for the guidance – greatly appreciated. I will be taking him (assuming he is well behaved between now and tomorrow!)

anagallis_arvensis

Just watching Empire with my 5 year old. He just said “i likecthe fighting but dontclikecthe kissing”. Much kissing in force awakens?

MoreCashThanDash

i likecthe fighting but dontclikecthe kissing”.

Prepared for married life then

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

When I went to see it a child who looked to be around 7 or 8 got taken out after finding certain scenes “too scary”. So it obviously depends on the child.

peabrain
    Free Member

Other half wants to take our 5 year old to see it. I’m not so keen seeing as he found parts of The Good Dinosaur too scary 😀

donks
    Free Member

My 7 year old is going on Thursday and I know he will be fine…. I think his 14 year old brother has been instrumental in desensitising him to films though.
    He did get pretty scared with Jurassic world though??? And he loved the first 3.

bensales
    Free Member

I wouldn’t take my 6 year old. Without spoilers, the initial 20 minutes is pretty violent in mor e of a war film way, than a Star Wars way. I’d let him see it when he’s 8 or 9.

I’d suggest you pop along and see it first without him.

CountZero

Lauren Laverne thinks that any child that’s seen the Harry Potter films will be fine with this, as a guideline.

isitafox
    Free Member

Took my 5 and 7 yr olds today, both really enjoyed it and they don’t watch violent stuff as the wife won’t allow it.

rOcKeTdOg

He might get upset at the standard of acting & Carrie fishers corset but nothing to be scared of

lllnorrislll
    Free Member

Took my 7 year old and it held her attention through out, couple of moments she was watching through her fingers, but they were the bits she liked best and who didn’t do this when younger with the original films, Dr who etc.
    In fact it was quite exciting hearing her enthuse about it, than my mid 30’s mate critique it and also seeing the drivel posted about it on various forums.

davosaurusrex

Would like to take my nearly 6 year old boy to see it but sometimes he runs out of the room when there’s a “scary” bit in Octonauts! On the other hand he watched the original three nearly a year ago. I asked him what he thought when the At-At treads on Luke’s snowspeeder with Dak still in it and he said “doesn’t matter, he’s already dead”. Kids eh?

molgrips
    Free Member

I won’t take my 6yo, but I know she is a delicate little flower who ran out of Inside Out…

Would like to take my nearly 6 year old boy to see it but sometimes he runs out of the room when there’s a “scary” bit in Octonauts!

Lol, even she’s not that delicate!

lister

Took the boy (9) to see it yesterday. He loves Star Wars and this is the greatest according to him. However there is a dark, flashback scene that he didn’t like…he’s a bit sensitive to eerie/spooky things rather than the war bits. As a reference there is NO way he would cope with any Harry potter film because of this.
    He wouldn’t have coped with the film last year, never mind 2 or 3 years ago.

There are bits I thought were more realistic than any other film when it came to fighting and death but he’s not bothered by that. Don’t forget the burnt out corpses in episode 4 that no one ever seems bothered by!

loddrik
    Free Member

Going tomorrow with my 10 and 6 year olds. I’m absolutely certain the 6 year old will be fine, I was 5 when I saw star wars. The wife took them to see the Maze Runner sequel which was apparently pretty scary and other than a few hands over eyes moments they really enjoyed it and have watched it again since.

nwill1
    Free Member

Glad this has come up, was planning on taking my six year old as she loves the whole saga especially empire strikes back. Then I heard it might not be suitable for under 12’s.

The comments here assure me it’ll be okay. We can’t wait!

Yak

Seen this afternoon with my 6 and 8 year olds. Both loved it and were fine, but my youngest said some bits were scary, especially one particular bit, that I can’t describe without it being a spoiler 😉 🙂

footflaps

The villain is about as scary as Postman Pat…..

Garry_Lager

Think it’s fine – Only recall one scene at the beginning that’s potentially ‘unsuitable’ but that’s only from an adult point of view (if that makes sense), don’t think kids would realise it was meant to be a harrowing sequence.

My lad (7 yo) seemed a bit non-plussed by it, overall, and he likes star wars stuff. He was happy enough but it’s an absolutely frenetic film and I think he switched off after the 73rd explosion. Didn’t seem to make an emotional connection where he’d be talking about the characters etc.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Force Awakens – Suitability for Children’ is closed to new replies.