Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Forca/Ice Lift/TMARS (and others?) droppers – are they all the same thing?
  • IHN

I’m maybe possibly sort of maybe thinking about an uppy downy post and maybe possibly sort of maybe thinking about getting a cheapy one to try first.

I see lots of threads and reviews and eBay adds for thses posts and it seems to suggest that they’re all the same post, but marketed under different brands. Then some have the cable going in the front and some have it going in the back, and one is apparently better than the other (but I’m not sure which one).

Help me, I’m confuzzled…

IHN

*cough*

mikewsmith
    Free Member

do they look the same? They probably are

IHN

They look similar, but the prices differ quite a lot.

warpcow
    Free Member

There are various reports as to the different brandings also using different quality parts. I seem to remember someone on here importing some and making a point of saying they’d ‘upgraded’ the bushes to work better in the wet, etc.

dantsw13

Get the ICE V8 from purebike.fr It’s about £80 there, or the same one in the uk is about £140.

You will need to strip it and grease it before use.

buck53

My understanding is that one is a 2012 or earlier model.2013 model is supposedly upgraded, main visual difference is that the cable exits the post vertically from a black box rather than horizontally from red noggin.

I believe this Is a 2013 model.

IHN

Grr, can’t see eBay at work

The one I linked to has this cable routing:

They also do a (cheaper) on that has this routing:

Is there a third option then?

buck53

The one being sold as ‘2013 model direct from manufacturer’ on eBay have a black box in place of the red adjuster, cable routes vertically down from there.

Let’s see if this works:

Not saying this makes any difference but seems to signify it is a new model as everywhere else seems to have cable exit designed as per your pics.

Incidentally these are £85 delivered from the UK on eBay.

IHN

Hmmm, might have a dig around on eBay later then.

buck53

That picture worked in the preview but not in the actual post. I give up, sorry. Posting photos here is clearly beyond me! Stick ‘tmars 2013’ in eBay later on and you’ll see the difference.

IHN

Yeah, will do.

But, going back to my original question, the Ice V8 and Forca posts are all just rebranded TMARS posts then?

There are various reports as to the different brandings also using different quality parts.

This is the bit what worries me 😕

buck53

Seems that way. From the listing, “The exact same post older version with the buyer’s own brand “FORCA”… is currently selling for almost £100 including the dust gaiter.
    Also old model being sold under the brand “ICE LIFT V8” for £120…
    That was the old version,
    this is the updated 2013 / 2014 model just released !”

(Horrific grammar, punctuation their own!)

IHN

Well, I’ve bought one, so we’ll see…

mangoridebike

Ooh – which one did you go for IHN, and why?

If you don’t mind me asking?

IHN

The £85 eBay one. Seller is bikeaholics/Quattro Sports Ltd

Because it was the cheap, from the UK and supposedly the latest model.

IHN
    theotherjonv

In a bid to not say ‘Told you so’ I had one that lasted a few rides before turning its toes up. IMHO, the sealing and bushing material was not suitable and either swelled when wet, or somehow allowed ingress of sandy water grinding paste because quickly the post failed and wouldn’t allow the post to rebound to length (not an issue compressing when it had 16st compression force on it 😉 )

They may have changed materials but my advice would be to keep it scrupulously clean, maybe even dissemble and rinse / dry / regrease after any wet ride.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/traildrop-seat-post-anyone-used-one

IHN

Ah well, we’ll see.

For the money I’ll take the chance and see how I go. I intend to give it a good strip down, clean and grease when I get it and possibly do some cunning innertube and ziptie sealing. If it still fails, you can go crazy with the told you so’s 🙂

dantsw13

TheOJV, I had one and it was the same initially, but after a strip and grease it is much better. It now works faultlessly for the last 2 months (Kiss of death alert!!)

My advice is to be very careful with the hose post ride, as it is very easy to bet water in the top of the rubber boot. It seems trail proof, not hoseproof.

Mine is the ICE Lift V8 variety.

theotherjonv

Yep – I think I realised too late by which time damage was done. But in the meantime I’d picked up a X-fusion Hilo off here so never tried another. Be interested to hear how you get on; like I say I don’t want to be a told-you-soer, just passing on experience in the hope it avoids someone else having the same issue.

When it worked it was great – made a bit more sense to me that over complex hydraulic systems – but the execution just didn’t cut it longer term. If they fixed that, I’d buy again tomorrow. Particularly as it was 27.2.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Forca/Ice Lift/TMARS (and others?) droppers – are they all the same thing?’ is closed to new replies.