• This topic has 44 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by trb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • For you road riding mountain bikers…
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

If I wasn't allowed to call myself simply a cyclist I would say I was a mountain biker who enjoyed road riding (on a road bike!).

Last night I had a choice of woodland singletrack on the MTB or get on the moors – with the fab views – with my road bike. I opted for the latter 'cos the weather was so nice.

HOw do you decide whether it's the road bike or the MTB for a spin?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

mine's largely time and social. If I want to ride for a couple of hours, it's the road bike as I'll get a couple of hours complete riding in. If the boys want to play mountain bikes, I'll do that.

If i have *time* i'll often choose the mountain bike, purely as I don't get that much free time so need to do it when I can. But if the weather's been shitey i'll take the (non-race) road bike as it avoids the chore of cleaning etc post ride.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Too many variables, weather, current location, time of year, available time, how often I've been doing one over the other, mood, can I incorporate the ride with an errand / visiting someon all go into making the decisions.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I got a road bike last year and have used it a bit but the MTB gets MUCH more use. Just not quite "got" the road bike thing yet – yes it's fun going quickly but stupid drivers and much worse consequences if you crash do put me off.

I suspect it'll get used more soonish but for now, the MTB is my bike of choice.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I must admit I don't tend to do "social" rides on my road bike, preferring instead to go out with my own company only…and the fact my road riding pals are much fitter than me 😆

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I've been enjoying the road bike recently but that might have something to do with the nice weather we've been having.
    Deciding factor for me at the moment is usually the strength of the wind as I really don't enjoy riding into a head wind or being blown sideways by a strong crosswind on the roadie.
    Still enjoy mountain biking more as it's more social but it's always nice to have a different option.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Winter and can't be arsed to ride but know I should = road bike.

Otherwise MTB

njee20
    Free Member

Pre-determined for me, I'll think at the start of the week what riding I'm going to do, and generally stick to it. I can't be bothered with short MTB rides, so unless it's more than 3 hours, or a purely social night ride I'll go on the road. Tend to do one decent MTB ride at the weekend, then commute on the road bike during the week.

13thfloormonk

At the moment the road bike wins out for big rides, and the mountainbike for short rides. I live in Edinburgh and can't really be bothered with local road riding, but can take the train to some of the best riding in britain (Arrochar – Oban is becoming a regular ride).

Also, the road bike is filling the role of 'old faithful' while my singlespeed MTB and geared MTB seem to spend most of their time up on the blocks.

DezB
    Free Member

Commuting – road bike
    Fun – MTB

I never choose a road ride for pleasure if the weather's good.

donsimon
    Free Member

Time available, motivation, season, weather, objective, variety. Nothing really concrete.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mostly road bike because I can go straight from my house, whereas I have to drive now to ride my mountain bike so its more hassle.

I used to only have to cycle on the road for about 3 miles and I could do some good offroad like parkamoor or grizedale so mtb used to get much more of a look in.

alpinegirl
    Free Member

Mostly depending on who is keen for a ride (i.e. whether they have a road or mountain bike), and if I'm on my own weather/time. Short ride = road bike, bad weather = mountain.

Obviously also if one bike is currently in need of maintanence the other gets chosen – I'm quite lazy about it so I'll often ride one bike for weeks whilst the other sits waiting for air to go in the tyres or something.

GW
    Free Member

Wouldn't even describe myself as a cyclist, I just like riding bikes!

I ride MTBs most as they are more versatile and you can ride everything from XC to jumping to DH or even though it is wrong street/skateparks and road rides. luckily I have a BMX and a road bike too. I just ride what I fancy, BMX today.. so far.

David – all of us can ride MTB, BMX or road straight from home.. You just choose not to

malchales
    Free Member

I dont mind which i ride, im lucky enough to live in an area that caters for both!
    Road bike most days 6 miles too and from work, mid week or weather permitting sunrise and sunset ride to and from work 10 miles xc over the south downs from worthing – shoreham.
    And road bike the day after a long saturday xc session. Im lucky i only live a mile from the downs or i can ride the coast road or country B roads locally!! I enjoy riding both, but im nore relaxed XC riding (no traffic)…..

neil853
    Free Member

Its a funny thing because i hate riding my road bike for any other reason than to work. I mean i really enjoy my 12 mile commute but when i went out for a 'training' ride just after i got it (last xmas) i just didn't enjoy it at all.

I always choose my mtb, but then again i live quite close to areas where i can get some good riding in. I prefer the social aspect of mtb'ing. roadies are just unsocialable 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

David – all of us can ride MTB, BMX or road straight from home.. You just choose not to

Yeh I used to. Dont ride my bmx anymore for some reason and I cant be arsed with a long road ride on my SS mtb to get to the offroad bits.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Training/fitness, limited time = road bike.

Relaxation, fun, adventure = more likely mountainbike.

Drac

Crossbike allows best of both.

clubber
    Free Member

It's a bit like food – how do you decide what to eat – just pick whatever you fancy at the time. Variety is the key 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Drac – Member
    Crossbike allows bestworst of both.

That's my take anyway! Depends on your riding and local trails IMO.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

My road bike is for racing, almost all my other rides are on the MTBs or BMX.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depend on my mood,

Quite happy doing a big epic road ride, slightly less bothered about all day MTB rides as after the first hour stuff like jumps becomes a lot harder to concentrate on (IME) and since moving down south and discovering the joys of actual singletrack as opposed to rocky doubletrack I'm more in favour of 20-30mile MTB rides on 80%+ singletrack whereas up north your oven lucky to get 80% offroad.

Sunday ~ 20 miles Swinely Singletrack
    Monday/Tuesday – nowt (went to gym on tuesday for some upper body weights and a swim)
    Today – 12 miles commuting, probably gym after work
    Thursday – Possibly Swinely, or possibly just the gym.
    Friday – Might do a 25mile road loop after work + 6 miles in the morning
    Saturday – No idea.

13thfloormonk

Thinking about it actually, what appeals to me most is going places.

Obviously you can go more places with a mountainbike, but with a bigger investment of time/planning/money.

With the road bike last weekend I plotted a route on thursday, spent about £20 on train tickets and rode from

Helensburgh – Arrochar – Rest and Be Thankful – Hell's Glen – Inveraray – Dalmally – Taynuilt – Connel – Ballachullish – Glen Coe – Tyndrum – Crianlarich – Loch Lomond – Glen Douglas – Helensburgh.

Thats value for money! 😀

jahwomble
    Free Member

I only have mountain bikes, one of 'em has maxxim hookworms fitted though, does that count?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

just pick whatever you fancy at the time

Do you never get stuck trying to decide? I was staring out of the window for a good few minutes last night before I decided on the road bike. Didn't regret it and was joined by a barn owl and a fox half way round. I HATE sharing the roads with cars and am fortunate that there are a lot of quiet country lanes with big views where I live…and some big(ish) climbs 8)

clubber
    Free Member

Actually, no I don't really – guess I'm just decisive 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

I sold my road bike 2 weeks ago as I get just as good a work out on the mountain bike on the roads, without the speed I grant you, with the distinct advantage of being able to take to the XC routes part way 'round a route if I feel like it.

That's very useful as some of the local roads can get heavily congested and being able to simply revert to type and XC is a great tonic, taking me away from the smog and cars.

I find the road riding a tad boring if I'm honest – good for cadence work, but not very interesting!

Drac

That's my take anyway! Depends on your riding and local trails IMO.

It was my take too until I decided to try it and now I love it, fast blast on the road for mile after mile straight from the door. Get bored of the tarmac and hop onto the nearest track or bridleway for some singletrack fun.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enough Drac, that wouldn't work for me round here.

neninja
    Free Member

My road bike just hangs in the garage and gets neglected.

I still enjoy riding on the road but like to use the road to link up my favourite off road trails. Had a lovely ride last night 1/2 on road on empty lanes and 1/2 off road. Also found that my fitness improved more by riding the mtb on the road as you have to put in more effort than on the road bike.

Some roadies rudely cut across me from a side road whilst joining the road I was already on last week, making me have to almost stop. Red mist descended and fortunately the Anthem X is pretty rapid so I made sure I overtook them and left them up a long climb. I did feel sick by the top but it was hugely satisfying.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I think a major factor is:

MTB – go anywhere and avoid traffic
    Road bike – restricted routes and traffic

I've got a 25 mile route for the road bike that's very rural and hilly and I love it but it takes a while (have to catch a ferry 2/3 of the way through it).

Tend to road and MTB ride on my own so "sociable" is not a factor. Used to ride with a club but a 10 miles ride would take all day from major faffing. Prefer to just get going and peg it.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Road bikes must be nice but what if you spot an attractive bit of new singletrack on your route…that must be frustrating

Ti29er
    Free Member

I was also put off joining a road riding club as it sounded like if you turn up with a bag under your saddle, kit that is not co-ordinated, wearing mtn bike shoes & a Camelbak no one will ever talk to you.

I got more for my road bike 3 years on than I paid for it – win/win!

Drac

Fair enough Drac, that wouldn't work for me round here.

Aye the idea of the CX was partly for that, I have some great riding but from the doorstep it's flat and dull on a Heckler. On a CX bike it's great fun and I can opt for the easy option of tarmac.

I'm talking myself into riding here but can't as taking my Dad out for the day.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I do like the total minimalism of road bikes – just a saddle back (Aero Wedge) with a few essentials and a frame mounted pump – and that's it.

I also love the feeling of total efficiency, the lightness (even on a loweish end road bike) and the single minded approach to going quickly.

I don't like the poor brakes, the near death experience of any wet "ironwork" or white lines on the road or the fear that a pothole might kill the bike. The Council here also seem to favour drains covers that are perfectly for eating a 23cc front wheel and flinging you off at 30++mph.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I was also put off joining a road riding club

That doesn't appeal to me at all. I read something recently about the etiquette of road riding in a group. All those unwritten rules put me off ever going out riding with a club. I'm a bit of a cruiser on my road bike. I'll work up a sweat but for me it's as much about the views and the fresh air as anything else.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Road bikes must be nice but what if you spot an attractive bit of new singletrack on your route…that must be frustrating

Not really, you just log it in your mental map and come back later for it on the MTB on a scouting mission. I found plenty of singletrack delights spotting stuff off the road.

A CX blast is nice now and again, its great that they're almost as quick cruising as road bikes, and do not limit you to sealed surfaces, but if I find anything properly techy I often find myself thinking while ratting down the descent 'I'm doing well to ride this on a CX bike, but it would be much more fun on an MTB'.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

That doesn't appeal to me at all. I read something recently about the etiquette of road riding in a group. All those unwritten rules put me off ever going out riding with a club. I'm a bit of a cruiser on my road bike. I'll work up a sweat but for me it's as much about the views and the fresh air as anything else.

I really don't think (nor indeed have I found) road riding with 'clubs' like that. Most of the 'rules' and 'etiquette' are just common courtesy that has built up to keepo everyone safe and happing riding in a fast paced group.

Nobody wants to trash wheels and equipment, or cause pile ups, so you just make sure everyone knows how the group will operate and get on with it.

I perosnally don't get why MTBers are such sensative souls, resistant to suggestions that there might be a better way of operating than that which they are insisting upon, and utterly convinced that 'roadies' will ridicule them mercillessly for the slightest infringement of some mythical 'code'. Its utter crock, most roadies could not care less who you are or what you ride. You may have to endure some jovial ribbing, but there is plenty of that in MTB so I don't see the issue?

oldgit
    Free Member

Predetermined for me also as I'm racing throughout the summer, plus the roads are so good this time of year.
    Now with a local cross league I tend to ride the crosser over winter, a time when the MTB used to come into it's own.
    Now I ride my MTB just to keep my hand in, and for a few races and later night rides.
    The road bike get hung up late Autumn and throughout the winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘For you road riding mountain bikers…’ is closed to new replies.