Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)
  • for Woppit – a matter of faith
  • toys19
    Free Member

I’ll concede it, I quite like the “Jeering Ghost of My Arse”.

Lifer
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    theology would seem a word perhaps less likely to incur the jeering wraith of the disciples of anal

Perhaps you should have just shared it on facebook if you were after a load of sycophantic ‘oooooooooos’ and ‘that’s so freaking deep’.

But well done on maintaining the shrill hyperbole.

yunki
    Free Member

you misunderstand lifer..

if I had shared that on facebook, I would have been inundated with worried folk wondering if I was ok, or whether my account had been hacked

I just found it amusing.. as was monsieur nutt’s peice

simple pleasures..

toys19
    Free Member

Been reading about Theology on that there wiki and it seems I might like it (see my bold highlight):

Theology might be undertaken to help the theologian:

understand more truly his or her own religious tradition,[5]
    understand more truly another religious tradition,[6]
    make comparisons among religious traditions,[7]
    defend or justify a religious tradition,
    facilitate reform of a particular tradition,[8]
    assist in the propagation of a religious tradition,[9] or
    draw on the resources of a tradition to address some present situation or need,[10]
    draw on the resources of a tradition to explore possible ways of interpreting the world,[11] or
    explore the nature of divinity without reference to any specific tradition.
    challenge (ex. biblical criticism) or oppose (ex. irreligion) a religious tradition or the religious world-view.

Cougar

You don’t have to believe something in order to study it.

toys19
    Free Member

Indeed, I had not considered that in my rejection of Theology. I take it back.

As an aside surfing that wiki I found this wiki irreligion.
    We are the 6th most irreligious country in the world with an average of 52% being irreligious. That is heartening.
    USA is the 32nd with 19.5% being irreligious, which is scary..

yunki
    Free Member

I guess I was asking for trouble posting it..

This is not aimed at you as such toys19 – but it’s a strange and sad feeling being on the receiving end of the atheist sneering.. often I’ve been doing the sneering myself in the past, and worse

I didn’t realise quite how agnostic I was either until this morning

And yes, in case you were wondering, I was probably already more than a bit tense.. baby yunki has been behaving in ways very much not in accordance with the Geneva convention again lately

loum
    Free Member

I’m not sure I desrved to be insulted though?

Although, you probably deserved it.

Lifer
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    This is not aimed at you as such toys19 – but it’s a strange and sad feeling being on the receiving end of the atheist sneering..

Oh for goodness sake.

Cougar

Just so we’re clear,

I’m not sneering because I’m an atheist. I’m sneering because it was sentimental twaddle designed to appeal to emotion. IMHO.

yunki
    Free Member

what does that mean lifer..?

are you in a mood..?

cougar – sentimental twaddle

ahhh.. so this is all fear led then..?

the athiests are worried about this piece of writing and getting defensive..?

so it’s a powerful bit of twaddle..?

toys19
    Free Member

loum, thats jsut a symptom of my typlexia…
    ynki, lack of sleep?
    For the record, I was not sneering, it might have come across as such so apologies, but I do like to examine that which is in front of me, can’t help it. To be honest, it was the easiest dismantling of a piece of twaddle I’ve done in a long time.

The point of vigorous discussion is to learn, I learned that theology is not all bad, if it can be used to kick religion then happy days. I also learned about irreligion, which has proven more useful.
    I don’t know what you learned but I hope you can make a positive out of it.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Sorry I’m late – just noticed this was for me. Erm….

Babies in the womb have no language and cannot talk.

But, you know… thanks anyway.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve learned that the term ‘freethought’ is incredibly ironic.. 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

No mood here just bored with the ‘woe is me’ hyperbole* (as I’ve already mentioned).

What do atheists have to fear? We own the future.

yunki – Member
    I’ve learned that the term ‘freethought’ is incredibly ironic..

yunki
    Free Member

What do atheists have to fear? We own the future.

logic and reason certainly seem to be the en vogue default religious standpoint

the ‘woe is me’ hyperbole*

lifer I don’t really know what you’re going on about, is the bathos confusing you..?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

😆

This has the makings of one of the greats

Please keep it up

yunki
    Free Member

I can only keep going til baby wakes up and starts whingeing again.. but I’ll do my best

swiss01
    Free Member

not philosophy!?

given the obvious spin on plato and beyond someone I think must be having the proverbial giraffe.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“I can only keep going til baby wakes up and starts whingeing again”

Thats not whingeing… thats singing.

The light, the light it’s beautiful,
    Mum you’re wonderful and loving
    This Dad fella ain’t bad either.

😆

molgrips
    Free Member

An illustration of what? Its religous propaganda.

I chose not to read it like that, but I could see how you might (and it may well have been intended that way).

It just points out that in some situations, you may think you know everything, but only because you don’t have the facility to perceive anything else.

It could be considered an illustration of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

toys19
    Free Member

It just points out that in some situations, you may think you know everything, but only because you don’t have the facility to perceive anything else.

This is the greatest slur on any scientist. It is patently untrue, and if you know science , you know it is in true.
    The dunning kruger thing is a pathetic insult.

I think it was Einstein who said ” As the pool of light gets bigger, so the circumference of darkness around it expands”

The one thing I know is that I know very little.
    We can dismantle science if you want, there are some great ways to show its limitations, but the OP’s original paragraph is not a good way to do it.

Lifer
    Free Member

is the bathos confusing you..?

Nope, missed it, please highlight. And as for:

yunki – Member

“the ‘woe is me’ hyperbole*”

lifer I don’t really know what you’re going on about

How about:

yunki – Member
    why are folk afraid to think abstractly..?

there’s some on here that get their knickers in a real twist about it.. even if it’s other folk doing it..

yunki – Member
    sorry that it made some angry

yunki – Member
    incur the jeering wraith of the disciples of anal

yunki – Member
    but it’s a strange and sad feeling being on the receiving end of the atheist sneering.. often I’ve been doing the sneering myself in the past, and worse

yunki – Member
    I’ve learned that the term ‘freethought’ is incredibly ironic..

You don’t think there’s any hyperbole in there? Given that all that has happened is people have said that a passage you’ve copied from facebook is rubbish/not the amazingly deep sentiment you thought it was.

surfer
    Free Member

More “God of the gaps” Molly?

yunki
    Free Member

i didn’t think it was amazingly deep you cretin 😆

toys19
    Free Member

yunki, try not to be insulting.

Lifer
    Free Member

Then why the butt hurt?

yunki
    Free Member

it’s really hard not to be insulting..

I’m not very bright and I’m being baited, if y’all were in my front room, literally instead of by proxy, I imagine that I would be Mr Pokey Eyerson by now.. 😳

I posted a nice twee thing hoping for a few folk to get around and warm themselves over the pathos and a bandload of bootboys jump in for a wankfest

it’s irritating

toys19
    Free Member

Well you are being baited, I dunno if you are not very bright, I would say what you posted originally is not bright, but we all make mistakes..

Your perception of me/us is a bit sad, I just didn’t think it was very sentimental, was flawed, and pretty lame. I know you did not create it.

Do you mean bathos or pathos, they mean different things?

sweepy
    Free Member

I know I know very little. I certainly dont know how to pronounce hyperbole

Junkyard
    Free Member

the athiests are worried about this piece of writing and getting defensive..?

Personally I am terrified about those talking womb babies

PS very funny so far Yunki

camo16
    Free Member

That’s how I read it yunki – twee, but in a good way. Nothing to get worked up about.

molgrips
    Free Member

The dunning kruger thing is a pathetic insult.

I think you are taking my posts here personally, they were not intended to be so.

I was not accusing you of displaying the DK effect. I was pointing out that DK could be considered an inevitable consequence of our position as human beings.

yunki
    Free Member

toys19 – bathos, pathos..?

as I typed it

bathos in the first post, pathos in the second

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I posted a nice twee thing hoping for a few folk to get around and warm themselves over the pathos

Oh. I thought you were trying to get in touch.

galactus
    Free Member

I like it also Yunki,
    Saw it for what it was….
    Not a reason to act smart assy and rude.
    Think the mod/cougar could have been clearer and stopped the baiting/thread bashing sooner.

toys19
    Free Member

molgripos, fair enough

galactus Think the mod/cougar could have been clearer and stopped the baiting/thread bashing sooner.

I don’t think so, you can’t post twaddle and not expect to have to accountfor yourself. Forum is about discussion you know. As far as I can see the bashing/insults mostly came from Yunki.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah sorry woppit..

my tongue in cheek has become foot in mouth I think

imnotverygood

The reason why some don’t see it as twee is that it isn’t actually about babies. Recast it as two men in a condemned cell talking about what happens when they are let out and I don’t see the winsomeness.

yunki
    Free Member

Recast it as two men in a condemned cell talking about what happens when they are let out

nope.. you’re right

I would have still loved it for exactly the same reasons.. but I may have seen that it could stir up some negativity amongst certain extremist forum members.. (‘scuse the hyperbole lifer, I’m starting to think it’s just part of my natural pattern of discourse 😳 )

I think maybe my teething baby is playing havoc with my hormones and blinding my foresight.. it was just too cute for me OK..?
    I will endeavour to wake up colder and more analytical tomorrow morning..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘for Woppit – a matter of faith’ is closed to new replies.